1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shock Absorber on a Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Nov 29, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking about putting a shock on the skid steer blade just to ease things back into place when the blade trips.

Anyone have an idea on what length of shock I would need? I may have an opportunity in the next few days to measure how far it travels when it trips but I was hoping to get a jump start on it.

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

It's impossible to say. The length of the shock is going to depend on both how far it trips and more importantly where it is mounted. If you are fabricating this yourself you should essentially be able to use any shock absorber you find and just mount it where ever it works the best based on the length.

I do think it's a pretty good idea if your blade does trip often.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I thought more about it and I should be able to get away with just about any automotive shock and just mount it accordingly.

I have a good operator running this blade and he rarely trips it but when he does, I hate hearing it bang back into place.