1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shirts and jackets

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Heavy Snow Man, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Heavy Snow Man

Heavy Snow Man Junior Member

I am looking into advertisng my business on shirts and jackets.
    Do any of you do this? Dose this kind of advertising work? Along with my wife and I wearing them my folks and inlaws would be more than happy to wear them.
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Heavy..........I have t-shirts made for my bar.
    They have the bar name front and back. Also on the back they
    say bar name with a pic of a drunk guy and are inscribed
    "HANGOVERS" and underneath the pic they say
    "INSTALLED AND SERVICED" We sell a bunch of them !
    Don't make a lot of $$ off them ...But they are quite the novelty
    item !...........geo
  3. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care Junior Member

I have t-shirts, long sleeve shirts , hoodies, and coats all with my company name and number on them. they work out reall well they paid for themselves after haveing a few people callin about mowing and snow removal.

One damn good investment!

YES, IT PAYS TO ADVERTISE!:redbounce
  5. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Word of mouth is the best advertisement. A lot of good people and good work come your way. Do a good job and this is free advertisement and its freeee!!!!!!!!!1
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

That was how I got almost all of my work last year,got in the game late. Word of mouth is cheap and a powerfull tool. I did buy some ink pens to hand out. I will have to see if the bring me anymore work.

Regards Mike
  7. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Premiums are just a gift and normally do not generate sales they are more to keep your business name fresh in an existing customers mind. We like to send something with our thank you cards or initial contact.

Shirts etc. create a more professional look for your crew but I don't think they would necessarily generate much business. Most people never see them unless you wear them outside of work a lot.

The greatest impact that the shirts have is when the crew is eating breakfast at a 'strategically chosen diner' and you have 12 guys sitting there wearing your gear. People notice then and many stop to chat with the normal "How long have you been out?" "Bet you guys are tired" etc.....

Most of those folks are on there way to work and it makes an impression. They can put an image to your advertising, they also get the impression that you are all done or caught up for the day and have time to enjoy breakfast while others are still scrambling to get done. It works! - michael
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i do the word of mouth or web site off aol which i havent started yet that is free
  9. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

It's great to see people wearing your gear but the yellow pages is much more cost effective.
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

M&M........yes the "official" yellow pages are great !
    But there are toooo many phoney ones that are not put out by ma bell.

Both my businesses are listed......But only the FREE 1 or 2 line listing with my name , add., and phone #.
    Heck.....It costs $100 a month just for bold type !

A display add is VERY pricey and you sign a yearly contract !
    My bud with a pizza shop pays almost $1000 a month for a small display ad.

Sure would hurt paying that amt. during the summer when there is no work ! A LCO combo deal would be ok. But to be listed in both sections of the phone book must be $pendy too.

BUT........It does work !

Just the cost alone would kill a small operation.

The free one liner in the phone book is the best bet for a small operator.
    Ya figure....Most folks are gonna call each one and price shop looking for the LOWEST price !
    Thats what they do for my hotel/motel operations !!!!!!!!!!!!

One good CHEAP adv. is to set up a website !
    Heck, nowadays you can have your kid set it up and pay a hosting company 20 bucks a month.
    Folks will type up "snowplowing" and go from there.
    The downside is there will be thousands of sites listed.............

Maybe if they typed "syracuse snowplowing" (or your city) for example it might bring them to your area listing.............

ANOTHER: Is to post your services at sites like Plowsite, SIMA,
    and some others.....Most are FREE too !

1 MORE..... Join your local Chamber of Commerce !
    I belong to 3 of them. Each cost under $200 a year.

My businesses are in tourist area(s). The local chambers send out all kinds of promos, brochures, sponsor many events, etc. all during the year. Some have weekly ads in nearby cities
    major newspapers to draw tourists to our area !
    The chamber also has a handy FREE visitor guide that is everywhere for folks to take with them listing rests/motels/attractions/fishing/etc.
    Newspaper display ads are $pendy too!
    All sponsors and members names, services, etc. are posted.
    PLUS YOUR business is on their web sites for FREE !!!!!!!!!!

Being listed by these chambers brings me 100s of customers to my hotel/motel/bar/rest. operations alone.....................

YES......You have to advertise...But spend wisely....use whats best for you !

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  11. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

do you guys get many calls off the t shirts or jackets
  12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i have t shirts, long sleeve shirts, polos, windshirts, sweatshirts, jackets.
    i get them through wearguard/aramark. realitively inexpensive and i think it gets your name out there one more way plus gives you and anyone else working for you a more professional look on the job site.
    i would say i get some calls from the shirts but i never really think to ask most of my customers
    also there are other ways(websites,pens,business cards,magnets,sitckers) that i also use
    good luck
  13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

If you work for my company, you get a button down shirt (we are after all Lone Cowboy), a jacket, a hat. All with our logo and the shirt and hat have your first name on it. And you are either driving or in a truck or tractor with our logo and phone number on it in huge letters.

1. makes clothing for work tax deductable instead of personal money. (pre-tax vs. post tax)

2. It looks much more professional. It says "We are not a fly by night company, we will be here (hopefully) for years to take care of you".

3. It reassures people. People come out (esp women, who are a large percentage of our customers) and wonder WTH this person is on their land doing whatever they are doing. But they see the shirt and the name and they are instantly at ease and not afraid for their life. Some schmuck shows up in a pickup in some ratty old T shirt, they have no idea if it's the plumber or some guy coming to rob them. We noticed a BIG difference in people's behavior once we did this.

I don't think we really get any jobs from it, but I do think it makes a big difference in how people perceive you, which in the long run creates word of mouth advertising.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

www.vistaprint they are very reasonable and they are quality products.
    I get plenty of jobs from the shirts and jackets I have them print.
    Biggest plus it is a tax write off for the business as advertising.
  15. I used a company called Zazzle.com. Upload your logo and design all types of clothing, etc. No minimums to buy either. Here is a link to my online store.

<embed src="http://www.zazzle.com/utl/getpanel?tl=tahoeworkz%27s+Gallery+at+Zazzle&ch=tahoeworkz&at=238842841306391076&st=RECENT" FlashVars="path=http://www.zazzle.com/assets/swf/zp/skins" width="450" height="300" wmode="transparent" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" />
  16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Man someone dug deep for this thread. It is 4 years old.
  17. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

and another 4 years have passed....

we have dry-tech polo shirts for summer and hoodies for winter along with carhartt bibs and jackets
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make that 8 years old now,

Since it was brought up,only on my t shirts.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I just do the shirts for when Im at a new account or mowing commercial propertys. Helps keep the business aspect while your on site.