1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shipping from US to Canada - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cjcocn, Dec 6, 2007.

1. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I purchased an 8' Curtis from a member here (nascar 24) and am arranging the shipping.

I have a shipping company ready to ship the plow, but just learned yesterday that there was a potential hold-up. After spending some time yesterday gathering information, I learned that my DIY approach wouldn't quite work as I would then have to attend the holding warehouse and provide the clearance documents to customs (I am about 7 1/2 hours from the border).

Have any of the members here arranged to ship a plow from the US to Canada? What is the quickest and least painful method?

I am waiting for a quote from a Customs Broker (most that I contacted were not interested in working with me since I am not a business and this is a one-time deal), and unless the cost is prohibitive I will go that route. However, if anyone knows of a better way, please post up.

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't use a courier company as your Customs Agent!!!

They charge exhorbitant prices for "brokerage" fees, often 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the item. Granted, this is a little different as they won't be handling the shipping, but I avoid them like the plague if ordering items from the U.S. In fact, I won't deal with any American company that won't send USPS. The reason being is that USPS/Canada Post only charges $5 for brokerage fees.