1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shipping a skid steer question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Nov 20, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

evening guys,
    might buy another skid steer out of state and don't want to drive to pick it up so i may have it shipped. i am assuming that someone with the trucking company is capable of starting and loading/unloading it? if so do they deny any liabilty if anything goes wrong ie: engine blows up ect?
    thanks,
    steve

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I bought my TN75 out of state (sight unseen no less)

the very first time I drove it was off the truck.

They arranged shipping and i just sent the money.
    Driver showed up on a flatbed and it took a while to figure out how to get it off. Driver didn't touch it. Said "here ya go, get it off my truck" (and I don't blame him)

We ended up backing up my tow behind trailer with ramps to the flatbed, put the ramps to the flatbed, drove the tractor onto the trailer, then pulled forward and took the tractor off my trailer.

Took maybe 15 minutes once we figured out what to do.

Anyway, it was all chained down well and clearly they knew what they were doing, just make sure you have some way to get it off (or an agreement on how to get it off)

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most reliable shipping co's will offer insurance. Not sure if it covers the engine tho.
    May be something to ask the seller about.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Give Mick on this site a PM,he is/was a broker,i'm sure he can answer your questions.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

check out uship.com, great site, where companies look for shipments and backhauls and stuff, they bid on the shipments, so you usually get great rates too

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Operators drive the truck and ensure the safety of the load. They do not load or unload (unless by separate agreement and no truck company owner would agree to a driver operating equipment). The broker will ensure that the cargo can be loaded/unloaded properly.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be very careful with UShip. Basically, you are acting as your own broker. If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily have BIG problems.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the replies guys...i guess if someone wants to sell bad enough they will transport it to the shipper and get it loaded......hopefully for my sake
    steve

9. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

I had my w20b shipped in from PA to Ontario Canada.... i would stress use tons of caution with USHIP.

lay everything out in the agreement, and make it clear to them what you want.

A local farm tractor deal will let you use there big off load ramp payup might cost ya tho

10. donzi82

donzi82 Junior Member
    from USA

From my experience freight is usually only insured against lost or damage in transit. I don't t think they will cover it should the skid turn out to be a dud. One important thing would be to get a third party mechanic inspect the steer skid before buying it.

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I had a batwing mower shipped from Ft Meyers to Buffalo and picked it up there. Used Yellow Freight, and it was shipped in a container. Was the cheapest option at the time. Something to look into if it will fit into a shiping container. Good luck. Be careful with USHIP.

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

From my experience last Winter with Uship bidding on moving machines,I will tell you that some of these drivers would never be capable of handling a skid-steer.Most handle bulk type items only.I would never use them as all they care about is being the cheapest movers around.I never won a single bid as some of their companies will haul for less than the diesel costs to do the move.

13. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

UPS wont ship it? :rolleyes:

14. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

I've had 5 shipped from out of state. I pull my gooseneck along side, spin the loader and drive onto my trailer spin and drive down the ramps. Works great.