1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shifting into four wheel drive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JeepPlow18, Nov 18, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I know that the concept is the same with all vehicles but im not sure about chevys. I have a 95 chevy silverado k2500. Im a jeep fan and know that jeeps you put it in neutral and then shift into 4x4 in one continuous motion. are chevys like this too? This truck is new and I did test the four wheel drive but it was all ready in that when I tested it and out of it when I came back and bought it. The manual says I can shift it in drive! while the vehicle is moving!!! This sounds odd. lol

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

They call that "shifting on the fly". Yes, Chevys can have that done. However, you have to make sure that all 4 wheels are going the SAME speed. If you are spinning a tire when it tries to lock in, it will grind the 4 wheel drive. When shifting on the fly, you generally want to make sure your going less than 30 mph. However if you are putting it in 4x4, I wouldnt really see why you would be going that fast anyways. Oh yeah, that also only works with 4HI, need to shift into neutral for 4low.

Is your truck push button or does it have the floor shifter?

Tom

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Sech, to me I still like to be going under 10 mph when I put it into 4wd, the slower the better. If your going too fast it won't go into 4wd untill you slow down anyway.

4. Last year I suddenly drove into black ice on the highway, let off the gas and hit the 4x4 button at 60. Worked just fine. I ALWAYS let off the gas before shifting it.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The manual for my NBS says I can shift while in drive at up to 45 mph from 2wd to 4hi or auto mode (which I think engages the front axle, but lets the computer decide when I need front wheel traction). I tend to be conservative though and have enver shifted into or out of 4wd over 30mph...typically I tend to do it while stationary or set it in auto mode if I have slippery commute ahead of me.

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I have the floor shifter and it worked beautifully in the resent storm that we had today got 6.5 inches in northern jersey!!!payup:bluebounc:drinkup:

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Cool, mine is push button, but I would rather have the floor shifter, atleast with that, you can feel it lock into position, so you know the transfere case should try to lock in the 4hi.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I always **** to 4x4 when driving....all i do is just let off the gas and push the button....I've done it at 45mph and no problem..

9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Ok for now I feel better shifting when im at a crawl. Thanks for all your imput guys. O and duramax I know you ment to say shift but it came up as s h i t and it blocked it lol.:rolleyes: