1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shifting Into 4X4 On 1993 K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have a 1993 Chevy K1500 that I just bought. It has the shifter four wheel drive sytem (not push button or shif on the fly). First, what is the best way to engage it from 2wd to 4wd and back? I have been able to get it into 4wd high (by shifting while coasting at 2mph... is this correct???), but I am having trouble getting it to go into 4wd low (I have not even really tried it becasue I don't want to break it before I even plow with it!). I can tell that it has never really even been in 4wd low. What am I doing wrong?
  2. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

2wd to 4wd and back and forth is fine to do stopped or "on the fly", I would not shift it into 4wd going faster than 35 though........myself.

You need to be stopped and have the trans in nuetral to properly shift in AND out of 4wd low.
  3. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

It helps to have the transmission in neutral and have the engine off when shifting the transfer case out of neutral (going into 4wd low range from high range or going into a high range from a low range).
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Great, thanks a lot. I'll give it a try!
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Stop the truck put it in Nuetral, then shift to 4lo, then go.