1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shifting into 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lcncapo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

hello i have a 1980 3/4 ton auto. what is the proper way to shift into 4 hi and 4 lo?
    is the truck supposed to be in neutral? can you shift on the fly? also on my friends 87, there is w 4wd indicator light on the dash, is there supposed to be one on my 80? how can i repair this if there is and it isnt working?

thanks guys for the help.
  2. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

In my 70's Chevy's, I have to stop, put it in neutral, then sift the transfer case from low to high range. If I am shifting from 2hi to 4 hi I don't have to be in neutral BUT I have to be stopped. I tried doing it moving once and there was a loud bang/grrr :dizzy:sound so I turned the key off and stopped fast. Reset the shifters and everything was ok when I restarted.

As far as a light, I have owned a lot of 70's chevys and one 1984 3/4 ton. Non of them had any light to show what range you are in. It would be real easy to make one if you had to have one.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it has the 205 T-case like you suspect from your other post, then you can go from 2hi to 4 hi and back at any speed as long as the hubs are locked and your not spinning the rear tires. Should go right in..

To go to 4L, first shift the trans into neutral and then push the shifter all the way to low without hesitating in neutral (very important). You'll get the grinding noise you mentioned previously if you don't do it quick enough or without enough muscle. The 205's take some effort to shift so don't be afraid to give it a good shove.

Use the same procedure to pull it out of low. They can be tough to remove from 4L if theirs any bind in the drivetrain from making tight turns or trying to make the shift on firm ground. It does help if the truck is rolling slightly while making the shift.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many of the '80 model year trucks didn't have a 4WD indicator light but you can check on the top of the T-case to see if the switch is there for it. It'll be on the pass side on top near the floor pan and sticking straight up. Will have a white or white and black wire on it that snakes up through the shifter boot for the T-case on it's way to the dash harness.
  5. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

B&B u got all the answers for me! thanks guys for the help. ill check 4 the wire this weekend.
  6. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

I'd recommend checking the transfer case and ensuring you have fresh gear oil in it before you go messing with a 4 wheel drive that hasn't been used in who knows how long. Just my $.02.

Good luck!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If it is hard to move the Tcase lever look at the linkage there should be a zerk fitting to greaser up.