1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shifter configuration for plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Hedgehog, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I've had a few kawasaki prairies that I've plowed with over the years and now I'm looking at a yamaha grizzly. The kawasaki had the shifter on the right side which was nice because you could use your left hand to winch up the plow while your shifting the atv into reverse. The grizzly has the shift on the left side of the machine and was just wondering if anyone that plows with one had any complaints about this.

2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

My cousin uses his winch remote on his grizzly specifically for that reason. Does your winch have a remote?

3. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

I've had ATV's with the shifter on the left and on the right, (manual lift and winch lift) and plowed with all of them. My Suzuki has the shifter on the left side. Yes, it is a bit easier with the shifter on the right side... but you get use to it on the left side pretty quickly. I usually start lifting the plow as I come up to a snow bank to stack the snow, or back up a little bit before I lift the plow depending on the situation. Either way, I don't need my hand to work both. So, it's not an issue for me.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I have a Grizzly 660. The shifter is on the left. The winch/power angle switches are on the left as well. I've learned to reach over with my right hand and shift since the rear brake lever is on the left too, I can pull the brake to be able to shift, winch and go. You just have to get use to working it like that.

5. kkchevy3

kkchevy3 Junior Member

i like my 05 polaris sportsman because after backing up i hit the down button with my left thumb and use my right knee to push the shifter forward. Which is perfect because it goes right into low gear since you have to push the foot brake to get it into high

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

shift to reverse first and start backup and raising the blade at same time?

or as you go into the pile raise blade to help stacking and then shift into reverse.

just my thoughts

sublime out

7. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Shift should be on right side, you never need throttle and shift at same time. I had Cats, and a Honda with ES, Polaris is my current machine. When needing to shift if on a hill and holding with the brake I always found myself shifting with right hand, even for left side. My 2 cents.