1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shift Kit?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DodgePlow, Aug 9, 2004.

1. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is running a shift kit . Any pros or cons for plowing.

I was thinking of putting a B&M shift kit in my 94 Ram 2500 V10

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Shift kit should help keep temperatures down in the tranny and extend its life.

Could also cause the tires to lose grip on shifts though...
  3. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Don't recommend that shift kit for your Dodge.
    It's mainly used for high performance and racing.
    Stick with what you got and just take it at a resonable speed man.
    I have a 95 Dodge ram
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Most shift kits can be set to two different modes when installed--one is firm shifts for towing and trucks (heavy duty mode) the other is harsh, tire-chirping shifts for racing (street/strip mode). Probably the milder hd mode would be perfectly fine and still give some of the benefits.

Remember, heat is the worst enemy of your automatic tranny. Reducing shift time means reducing the slippage between gears that builds heat. You need a quicker but not harsh shift.

I will be finding out first hand (hopefully I make it this winter!) on a GMC truck set in Street/Strip mode--I am hoping that the weight of the truck, ballast, and plow will make it less harsh. ;) I will find out sooner or later!
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Check out APS Precision, call and talk to Wayne, tell him what you plan to do and he will give you a recommendation. They sell Transgo shift kits by themselves and kits with APS custom parts.
  6. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Thanks for the info guys.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Transgo No yo-yo kit is what I had added to mine during a rebuild.