1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shift Issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chas4x4, Aug 5, 2009.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I have a 1997 F250 hd and noticed that the transmissiom has a delay shifting into overdrive it just started every other shift is fine does anyone have any Ideas what it could be

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How many miles? When was the tranny last serviced? Is the OD light flashing at all?

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

check

check tranny fulid levels also it might need a service in other words a flush and a filter change. One thing to note, as I am sure you know, trannys are not something you let have give you problems without adressing them right away

4. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

shift

The truck has 71,000 on it and I did a flush at 38,000 and the OD light does not flash

5. FordFisherman

from 06611

Try driving with the OD button in the off position and make it manually shift when you need overdrive. Is it throwing any codes?

6. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I tried to do that a few times and it still shifted the same,no codes yet I haven't driven it in a day or so ,so I will watch for any,I have to check the level Ihaven't done that yet I know there is no external leaks .

7. FordFisherman

from 06611

Besides plowing, what else do you use the truck for? Try searching on FordTrucks.com you may get info from someone with the same issue. If it was mine I'd do a filter and fluid change; no flush (be careful of the flushing with 30k on the fluid) and if that doesn't help get a hold of someone with a diagnostic scanner and see if it brings up any trouble codes. Depending on how hard you work it, 71K isn't alot on an E4OD.

8. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I use it to plow 4 driveways haul some wood and trash from my house to the dump I don't pull any large trailers.I am going to do a transmission filter and fluid change like suggested and go from there.

9. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Got the transmission fluid changed along with the filter everthing seems to back to normal.Thanks for the input everyone.