1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shiffting

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mr frosty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

ANYONE have trouble shiffting there manual tranny? I have had this problem for years and have gone through three cluthes in 450 000 miles, I blew the center springs out of the first one and never got the same feeling again. Any help would be nice, thanks
    :cry:

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

what year truck?
    435? 445? nv4500? newer 6 speeds?

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would quit using the clutch....just need to get the feel at what the right RPM to shift at...every motor is different. our IHC is a little faster RPM that the Ford... i'm not very good at down shifting but i only drive the manual trucks once a week or so.

4. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

////////2000 5speed, Is there a tranny that is heavy duty? Are the 6 spd any bettter? I haul 18 000pds , i want to up grade but i also don't want a 5 ton. I don't think a auto would last at all.

5. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bump>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

.........and this 5 speed is in what model of truck? I have a NV5600 6 speed in my '04 2500. Reverse can take a try or two to get it in, but not that often. Try changing your gear oil..

7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

If you are running a cummins you have either a 5 speed or 6 speed. Getrag was the 1st, needs to be overfilled to make it last. NV 4500 came about in 94' they are very good trans. the had 5th gear nut issues but were easily fixed. 98' brought in the new NV 5600 6speed, best trans Dodge ever put in their diesels. then half way through 05' the went to another German 6 speed, they seem to be holding up but not as stout as the 5600. I would agree try changing your trans oil first and see if that makes a difference.

8. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

If you are running a Cummins you have either a 5 speed or 6 speed. Getrag was the 1st, needs to be overfilled to make it last. NV 4500 came about in 94' they are very good trans. the had 5th gear nut issues but were easily fixed. 98' brought in the new NV 5600 6speed, best trans Dodge ever put in their diesels. then half way through 05' the went to another German 6 speed, they seem to be holding up but not as stout as the 5600. I would agree try changing your trans oil first and see if that makes a difference. I am on my original clutch 151,000 mi and I find it is getting a bit tougher to get into gear, I did replace the slave 30,000 miles ago, this truck has pulled heavy loads for all of it's life and I am happy with the life of the original clutch. Next clutch will be a South Bend unit.