1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

She's a half ton w/ a saggy front end!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Roger Dodger, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

No, not some ugly middle-aged woman but, plenty of 1/2 ton trucks with front fender wells that are scraping the tires. The snow is accumulating in what little room remains in the wheel wells. What's with those guys? Do they figure "have truck, will plow"?

LOL- plenty of forgetful guys driving on the main roads w/ their beacons flashing away!

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

UGHT, Stop talking about my Ex.

3. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

The point I was getting at is: isn't it somewhat difficult to safely drive a truck that is sagging so low? I would think so, not to mention how low the blade is to the ground while travelling... not much clearance. I'm not talking about some 20 yr. old truck that;s whooped. Plenty of them are mid-nineties. Perhaps overloaded considering the specs of the stock suspension?

4. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

My local town has 4 1/2 ton Chevys that they use for plowing. One is extended cab, the others are regular. Was told that they bought them because they saved some money. For me, after buying my F350, I will not plow with anything else, I like the feel, know that the diesel will push whatever I want, and my insurance drops because they rate it as a commercial vehicle, because it is a 1 ton.

John

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I'm not usually one to judge a mans equip. Every one has a bidget to work on, and everyone's budget is a tad different. But being a ford man, I have noticed in my area quite a few new gm's with 8' fisher hd's... These trucks seem to have the front ends screaming... An unusual amount of these were 1500's.....

Rick

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My Chevy is a 92 1/2 ton. Does fine. Im sure 3/4 and 1 tons can do somewhat better, but I doubt its a night and day difference. I see alot of guys on here saying you cant plow with a 1/2 ton, or saying they wouldnt plow with anything less than a 3/4 ton, but at the same time I see alot of guys complimenting how great Jeeps are for plowing. I dont get it. :confused: This probably has nothing to do with nothing, but the town here has a new F550 Ford diesel with a Fisher MM plow which looks to be a 8.5' or 9'. I watch him try and do my little up hill culdesac and he slips and slides and gets stuck quite easily. When he leaves, I go out there in my HALF TON and finish what he couldnt do, with no ballast mind you, he has a dump truck full of salt. Not saying my truck is better than an F550, cause I know its not, but what I am saying is, bigger doesnt always mean better. Oh yea, the F550 is 4wd, or should I say 6wd. DRW. Mike

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

A 1/2 ton will work fine as long as it can handle the plow that is on it (a small one). 3/4 tons are great as you can put a V plow or the new blizzard on it.

It's all about the weight.
    So what if it's big, as long as you have the the right body pushing it, you sould have no problems.
    Once it sags that bad you need to use something smaller.

Unfortunalty too many guys think thay can get away using anything & dont relize what kind of risks they are taking.
    They see the big guys & think they can easily do the same.
    Not relaizing we are just laughing at the mixed matched size of thier equipment.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

my 99' half ton with 7.5 MM doen't sag anymore than one of the locals f-450's with a 9.5 V.this same truck has more than proven itself this season with 2 major storms of 2' and 3' snowfalls,i don't plow commercials mind you these are all residential gravel drives most of which are all up hill,i for one am sick of people shoveing this "half ton's shouldn't plow"crap down my throat,i easily keep up with any 3/4 or 1 ton in my area everystorm and more than once end up bailing them out because there"big truck" got them into a mess it couldn't get itself out of.Sorry,just lettin off a little steam!

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Let's just make it clear a f-450 with a 9.5ft V will be Much more efficent than a 1/2 ton with a 7.5 on most applications.

It's the drivers ability thay will play the bigest factor.

You got some moron driving the 450 then yeah he will take longer then the 1/2 ton with the guy that knows what he's doing.

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with both of you. A 1/2 ton shouldnt get anything bigger than a 7.5' in my oppinion and that is what is on mine and Arc Burns. I also agree with what Got Grass is saying. Of course you cant put the same size plow on a 1/2 as you could a 1 ton, Im not argueing that point, all Im saying is put a nice 7.5' on a beefy 1/2 ton and it will plow like an animal, mine does. Mike :drinkup:

11. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I agree totally with that but,he stated that it was unsafe to drive with a plow on a half ton and that just ain't so or i wouldn't be doin it,to clarify,a bigger truck with a good operator should be more efficient than a small truck,i'm just saying i can go anywere he can go.

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yup I agree totally. We can also do maybe a few things the bigger ones cant, such as get in tight places a little easier, better turning radius too, oh and my truck fits in my garage height and length, just barely, but fits. The bigger trucks cant fit in a normal sized garage height or length. My truck sits outside cause the SS is in the garage, but the plow is in the garage up against the wall, so I back out the car and pull in the truck to hook up. Its nice to be able to do the hook up and unhook in a garage and not outside. Mike

13. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Just to clarify... I wasn't beating anyboby up about 1/2 tons. I started there... I agree it is the operators that make the difference. Mike.. I envy the fact that your truck will fit in the garage. My superduties, and my 3/4 GMC won't even come close. So they all have to sit outside... Which really sucks...Lol

Rick

14. fordman

fordman Senior Member

All 1/2 tons have their limits. However I don't think everyone who owns them knows those limits.Here is a link to a thread of a prime example of not knowing the limits of a 1/2 ton.:nono:

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL That guy is an idiot though, lol, all us 1/2 ton guys would agree on that. Thanks for bringing up that thread, I needed a good laugh again, hehe. :drinkup: Like I stated earlier, 7.5' is the biggest that should be on a 1/2 ton in my oppinion, that particular guy is a mommaluke. Mike :D

16. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

"Starter Plow Truck"

My "starter" plow truck is an 82'F150. I have a 7' Western Pro Plow with Pro Wings-I have been tickled pink with the job this truck has done for me. I keep it well maintained and have added a few extras to beef it up a bit (100amp alt, dual batteries, heavy duty front coils, extra leaf in the rear) This truck has never left me stranded (knock on wood) and just does a great job. I would have preferred a 3/4 or one ton, but I got a really great deal on it. I know another thing-that old truck has paid for itself in just the few snows we've had since I bought it last year. I'll admit my next one will be heavy duty to start with-but for starting out my old F150 has definitely earned it's keep. (plus I love the what seems to be bullet-proof 300 inline six):)

17. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

This morning, I was following a next generation '02 Ram 1500 with a 7.5-8' outfitted w/ wings crusing down the interstate, nice and saggy like, emitting enough of sparks to qualify for a one-man 4th of July show! Needless to say, I steered clear in a hurry.

18. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I own a Z71 K1500 4X4, some suspension upgrades, and some differences from a normal K1500, so would you say an 8' snoway lexan would be too much for my truck? I am not asking to start the "Plow War" back up, I just want to know if you are speaking of size or weight or just at the stock 1/2 ton? Because there is something seriously wrong with a 7' being right for my setup. :realmad: It's looks wrong(too small), and if it were not for seeing the markers when I drive I would not even know it's there. The weight is not an issue, no sag, and with the snoway's weight, it's not much more than what I run right now. Just thought I would ask... Yes I would get a 2500 as my next truck, but only because I want the warranty to remain in effect when I put a plow on it.... :drinkup:

Take it easy on the 1500's, we are not all stock. And even though it has nothing to due with plowing, I have yet to see a 2500 come even close to hanging with me on the dunes... :nod:

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I think everyone was speaking about overloading 1/2 tons weight wise, not size wise. I know I was referring to the weight issue. I don't think an 8' snoway is to big for a 1/2 ton, because snoway plows are exceptionally light.

20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

a local trailer park has a 9 foot lexan snoway on a 97 ram 1/2 ton, I think the 9 footers are comparable to a 8 foot fisher hd or c-8 meyer.

~Nate~