1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

She's a beauty !!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Eyesell, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

That is pretty nice, i was always temped to get something like that and contract with the state dot.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I have a couple of trucks in my fleet same size and bigger. What intrigues me is the salt spinner in the front of the bed. I saw 1 drive down the road the other day and had to look twice. If anyone knows about these please let me know. Thanks in advance.
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Yes that is a nice looking rig, I'm like you 84deisel that spinner is in an interesting location. I think on e-bay it says that the truck bed dumps forward to keep the center of gravity. We don't have anything like that around here in Central Missouri. I think back in November 2003 somebody posted a F550 with this type of set up. The truck had a lot of stainless steel on it and stobe lights with red trim.
  5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I saw it on a truck in Chicago. We have a lot of tailgate units and I am curios how far it tilts forward as with our units at the end of the load the bed is tilted almost all the way up if not all the way.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've only got one lot where I could use that thing. Looks like it's in pretty good shape.:nod:
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

dosen't the entire under side of the truck get pelted with salt :confused: :confused:
  8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Lotta these trucks in the Northeast. The dumpbody tilts forward (30 - 45 degrees max) and empties into gates either on both side or just the driver's side. On the ones I've seen the bed is contoured down to the gates in the front floor. The gates open (opening is adjustable) and the salt or sand dumps onto the spinner. Very effective in salting/sanding on slippery surfaces, because the drive tires always have a good surface to push from.

Eyesell - your right the under sides of these trucks take a beating. We rebuilt a 87 single axle RM Mack with this type of box sander, and it was rotted in the strangest places. The frame was good, but spring hangers bad. Engine block had a hole in it from rust. The cab is in great shape though. Less that 100K on the truck before the state of NY junked it. My father picked it up with 2 donor trucks and fixed it up. We patched the hole in the block (had a welder patch in a peice of cast iron) and the rest was just cosmetic. The truck run beautifully.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Thats just about all the state dot uses here nowadays.The older trucks dumped toward the cabs to get the sand to the spinner but on the newer trucks the right side of the dump lifts sending the sand/salt to the spinner side.From what i have seen they work very well and it saves a lot of time because they dont have to deal with loading and unloading a vbox spreader.Underneath the truck probably does take some abuse but if the spinner is adjusted right i would think it would keep the spread lower near the road surface and not really on the frame.They use so much salt on the roads you cant really avoid it anyways.
  10. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

One of the towns by me has a new international or 2 with i believe air-flo multi purpose bodies on them. Great for towns in certain areas its a pain to raise a body to load a spreader sometimes with power lines an stuff though. Lodi used to have 2 highway spreaders on l-8000 ford single axle dumps. one truck got lost in hurricane floyd(long story) an the other got a new body put on it. those two spreaders were disintegrating from all the years of salt an other stuff. We now operate 2 hiniker v-box spreaders which are huge in our two international crew cab dumps an 3 smith stainless v-box jobs in our 2 pickups an f-450 mason dump.i like v-boxes better.:yow!: