1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sheer pins? ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nymustang50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Got a 8ft pro ultra mount on a friends truck.. All of the sudden while we were plowing and by the way the plow is about 5 going on 6 seasons now its like on page 3 on here http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/66879.07_020108.pdf part #25 sheered off the stud/piviot point rod. The truck or plow wasnt in an accident we were using it and it was fine and then all of the sudden we noticed it wasnt going up all the way and it seemed to be acting weird so we stoped and we saw that was the damage.. Are they meant to do that?

2. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Pivot pin for starters. I had one let loose during our last storm on a Pro Plus that's not even two and a half seasons old. The weld didn't penetrate the actual pin very well and popped off. The A-frame worked itself free from the lower lift frame and that's when the hidden problem was obviously found. This is one of many times that I've encountered a welding issue with Western in the last three years. You can save a few bucks by buying the pivot pin kit p/n 66812 versus the two pins separately.

Just my .02¢

3. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

I already bought them since I had to fix the plow in the middle of someones driveway that I was plowing. But I was just wondering if this was a common thing.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it is...

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Had a truck go down last snow event with the exact same thing.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I keep a couple sets of those pivot pins in stock at all times.

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

After making the switch from uni - ultra with all the trucks six years ago, I'm surprised it took that long to surface. The oldest of the plows have been trouble free across the board. The ones that were purchased from March '08 and on have had problems. Mainly factory welds. As I said before, the almost 2 1/2 year old Pro Plus just had the pivot pin issue. I just picked up another Pro Plus and we'll see if anything has changed. :laughing: