1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

She won't leave

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MTCK, Sep 25, 2001.

1. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I couldn't do it. I had the for sale sign on for a while and everything, and was all ready to sell the 83 1/2 ton that I restored, but I couldn't do it. While I am no longer shopping for a newer turbo diesel, I now have a few issues with the current truck which I would like to work through. The body I have came from a 6.2 diesel, and I kept the hydro-boost brake system that came with it. The pump is about done now, and I'd like to go back to a pump that just drives my power steering, and go with a vacuum assist brake booster. My question is this (1st question :) ) Can I bolt a vacuum assist booster, master cylinder combo up to the pedal linkage and rod that the hydro-boost came with from the factory? The other thing that was wrong with the truck, that I didn't want to mess with, is the front outboard u-joints on the axles. The passenger side is trashed, and I'm sure the drivers side could use R&R too. I'm not so worried about the proceedure on this one, as I have a good GM Shop manual that came new with the truck, as I am about how long it's taken you guys who have done it before. Afternoon? Weekend? I know I will need to replace at least the passenger side inboard axle shaft also. If I'm going to do tie rod ends and ball joints, would it be best to just tear into it friday night and completely do the front end all at once? I also want new gears, as this truck has the 2.73 ratio in it now, which makes the overdrive totally useless with 32 inch tires, but I'm a bit nervous about setting the last on the ring and pinion. So basically, if anyone has any tips, or lists of tools I should gather before hand, tricks, I'm all ears. Thanks guys. It's great to know I'll be owning something I can work on for at least a few more years. Thanks also to everyone who suggested joining the diesel page and reading their forums. I still want a 6.5 some day, but it just won't work when I'm still in school and don't have year long income to throw at the 4 digit problem$ which so many speak about.

MT

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know enough about 4x4's to answer your driveline questions, but as far as the brake booster goes, I did the opposite a number of years ago - vacumn can off, Hydro-Boost on.

As I recall, no problem bolting the booster/cylinder up to the firewall, what I can't remember is if the pedal pushrod was the right length or not. I believe it fit up OK too, but I can't say 100%. (As I said, it's been years!)

If it's only the power steering pump that's the problem, I think it would be easier to just replace the pump and leave your brake system alone. (When I did mine, I had all the parts off a donor truck handy, and my booster/cylinder was in need of replacement anyway)

Just a thought!

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Yeah, I thought about that also. I was informed by the shop I went to, that the booster needed replacing also. How they checked this, I do not know. My other reason for wanting to go back to a vacuum assist stems from an incident last spring, right after I installed my new motor. I was barreling down I-5 between seattle and tacoma when I lost my belt for the pump, as it was a little too tight. I know this was my fault, but it was still a little sketchy getting off the freeway with no power brakes OR steering. My passenger woke up about half way through it and said, "how come your knuckles are white and you're sweating?" I told him he didn't want to know. All is well that ends well right?

Thanks Rob

MT