1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

She doesn't think she should pay......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I plow a few local gas stations and when i went to one the wife asks if i can plow her home because her hubby was away. I've done their driveway a few times last year for the hubby and he always paid me in advance so i wouldn't have to go back to the station to get paid. I figured sure why not? I could use the extra $20. (it's a small str8 driveway) (one push).

She says come back tomorrow because since it's snowing she doesn't have much cash in the register. I figured sure why not. Well I got busy so I stopped by today. She say she should pay because i didn't do a complete job.... WTF?

I went their and there where two cars at the end of the driveway so I couldn't do a single push. I had to back drag everything into the street then angle it onto her front lawn being very careful not to damage the curb or her lawn. What normally takes 2 minutes to plow took about 10.... I told her it was either what i did or plow the cars in. She says no I should of come back to get the keys and move the cars.

Now I'm thinking I can see why hubby left and didn't take her. The nerve of some people....... I'll take this up with hubby when he get's back. i know he'll pay me.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This may seem extreme, but it's what I would do. Give her or him a bill with the charge for the house. I would make it clear that this is a "package deal" - if either is not paid, neither place will be plowed in the future.

This is a business and I am a businessman. You don't get to pick and choose what you agree with. And you don't get to treat me like the naughty neighborhood kid or some relative you can bully.

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

This was my first time dealing with the wife tho. The hubby always pays me and I only do the house when there is a lot of snow. This time he was out and I guess she didn't want to shovel. Oh and for the record there isn't a contract with this gas station. I have a bunch of small commercial accounts where they all look at me funny when i mention contract. Many on the street know me and getting paid has never been a problem. They are happy to have me do the work because I take pride in my work. There is a lot of competition out here with a few very big LCOs. We have Brickmen, Hoffman, Betts to name a few. There are about 10 well known landscapers around here that have huge crews. I'm friendly with a few accts and none of them ever used a contract. I haven't seen Brickmen do and commercial accts tho. Maybe they only do contracts?

4. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Have a contract. This year all my accounts must sign a contract with the prices i choose. If they don't like it they can always find somebody else. With a written contract you will be covered and they will pay.

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

So she sends you to her own house. Her hubby is gone and it didn't occur to her that she left 2 cars in the driveway ???

Right.

I would just show the $20 charge on the next bill to the gas station.

6. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i would have put the snow back in the driveway

7. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

put the snow back and move on theres more acounts out there to get.

8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

If you've had a good relationship with the client, I would wait until the husband came home and submit the bill to him. I wouldn't even mention the issue with the wife.

9. FianoLawn

FianoLawn Junior Member

:salute: This is the problem, you don't have a contract. I try very hard to get all my clients under a contract. That way there is no questions about anything. You'll always have the occasion in which you speak of you just have pick and chose who you deal with.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree.. :D

11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

guys, dont call it a contract!!!! call it a service agreement!!!! i have have lots of people not want to sign a contract with me, even if i told them that they could cancle at anytime if not satisfied with my work and all invoice's are paid in full... now i just tell then that my issurance company will not cover any damages without proof of me being on the property!!! and its required by them not me!!!! then in this agreement state what you would in your contract, have them sign it, date it, and there it is....... ive signed 20 of them this year ... in the past years. maybe 5 max a year ... it works

12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I thought about putting the snow back but the hubby always pays with no issue.

I like the term Service agreement better. I will start to use that term. I try and push contracts all the time but out here when it snows you see a whole bunch of Toyota Tocomas with 7' plows. I've even seen a feakin small Nissan truck with a 7-7.5' plow. The front end was bottoming out. These illegals get work tho.... Around here many are used to poor work with no contracts. I am trying to change that and show the customer what they get with the added cost of hiring me. (I refuse to low ball). My wife gets pissed off at me for loosing acct's because I stick with my price. I just will not sell myself short. She says that plow aint going to pay for it's self just sitting there.....
    example:
    I was at the Stop and Shop on RT7 in Norwalk (any one local can stop by and see what I mean) the parking lot is terrible. Some parking spaces have 3-4" of ice. I will see if i can take pics later today. This is an example of what some do around here. The areas are level as well. There is a chance cars where in those spots but if i had that acct I would of explained that to them that I need to come back at night to do a final clean up. Things like this should be worked out before getting the acct.

13. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I think someone already said it but deal with the husband. Don't bother dealing with the wife. If the husband always pays, then he will pay you the $ 20 for the driveway. Talk with the husband as soon as he comes back from his trip. Someone else said to put it on the gas station bill. That's also a good idea but no matter what you do, you need to talk with the husband ASAP in order to tell him what actually happened. Most likely, the wife has already told the husband what a bad guy you are and what a rotten job you did so you need to do some damage control as soon as you can. Wives can be very devious. Always remember to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have always called mine a contract and have never had a problem getting them signed.

15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Commercials have no problem with it as a "contract".
    Residentials I would land very few accounts until I started calling it a "service agreement" and explain that its no strings attached nothing hidden it just says that we're authorized by them to do the stated work for the stated price and that they agree to pay the stated amount for stated work. Sign and date at bottom, thank you very much here is your copy to keep for your records, have a nice day and see you when the snow flies!

or when the grass grows, whatever.

works like a charm. Residentials cannot stand commitment. gee wonder why we have sooo many divorces these days? LOL..

16. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

The only portion of my agreement that states contract is at the bottom which states

**** Please read carefully ****
    By signing this contract, you agree to waive your right to sue for damages to property or personal effects. We are not responsible for slip/falls.

I always get it on the dotted line.

17. go plow

go plow Senior Member

im glad to see that more people use the term (service agreement) because it took me a long time to figure out why i was not getting jobs when my prices were right on the ball!!!! people do not want to commit!!! by easing their mind about it, you gain a contract/agreement ,its the same thing if you think about it... and as far as what i say about the insurance, it lets them know that i have it!!!!! stay safe guys!!!