1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sharp snap sound when changing direction in 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chrisxl64, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

2000 k3500 SRW ,,, only happens in 4wd when starting to move after going forward to reverse or vice versa

Any ideas?

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

U-joints? Locking hubs maybe.

3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

All u joints are brand new, no real play in CV's no wheel play as far as a collapsed bearing running out of ideas.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I bet it is slipping where the cv axle bolts to the drive axle. Make sure all 6 bolts are very tight.

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just had some clanging in 4wd on a k1500. The 4 bolts that connect the flange of the front drive shaft to the transfer case where loose. Best thing to check for slop is to put transfer case in neutral (block wheel or use emergency brake if on slope) and grab the shaft & wiggle back n forth and see if you can find any play.

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Maybe I'll just change the CV shafts anyhow remains are only 160 for the pair b and B will chime in to the rescue.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Inner cv joints. Outters only make noise while turning

8. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

9. michdeere

michdeere Member

If the u-joints are all new, check your ball joints. I just replaced all 4 of them in my Ram. I had the same symptoms you have...

10. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yes! After getting that fixed all the funny noises in the front went away.