1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sharp Learning Curve with Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 22, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I know based off of the years of hand spreading one of my accounts that 300-350 lbs will do the job. I bought 600 lbs to do that account and the church parking lot. I was so excited to use my new tailgate spreader that I just opened the gate and let her rip.

I was traveling at an idle and cruising along the road. I had the window down and was listening to the salt hit the ground. I got about 2/3 of the way done and looked back and there was nothing coming out. I figured it might have been clogged so I hit the vibrator and still nothing came out. I stop the truck and get out to see what the problem was and the freakin thing was empty!!

Needless to say, there was no ice left on the road.

I guess next time I will open the gate about 1/4 of the way and see how it does.

Anyway, it was a heck of a lot better than pushing my little Scott spreader along.

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Lessons learned the hard way are typically not repeated. So, chalk one up to the school of hard knocks, and remember to adjust the settings next time.

We've all done boneheaded moves before. Welcome to the group.

3. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I always say you will pay for a education, through school or on the job. Consider it minor. I have been there.