1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shared Driveway

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by allstarlawncare, Sep 30, 2010.

1. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

This is going to be my first year plowing on my own and I am bidding on a shared driveway. The driveway is about 200 feet long by 25 foot wide and then it branches off at the top to the two driveways. Those two driveways are both about 100 foot long by 2 cars wide. I am thinking it is somewhere near 8000 sq feet. I was thinking it to be about $750 for 20 pushes.

Am I anywhere close? this is my first time with something of this size

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

So assuming that the 2 driveways split thats 18.75 per push per house? Sounds low to me but I dont know your market there.

3. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I would agree that it sounds low. But I do know how it is starting out. I'm on my second year and would take about any paying plow job!

4. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

that may be a little low, but you are right I could use any job I can get right now

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

honestly do not take anything that low just because you need the job.. very bad idea in many aspects. yes you will get the job, but why take a job and not make any money on it? id rather not wear out all my equipment not to make any money. if the truck breaks down, what money do you use to fix it? you just lost all your profit.
    In my opinion, I wouldnt want that place unless it was around 1500 a year.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Your WAAAAAY HIGH in our market, a typical drives goes for under $ 300, your only talking double that, I would guess it will go for around $ 4-500.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I usually charge per push for drives. Seems like that would be about $60-75 per push. Not sure about seasonal.

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Seriously? Thats one market I would not want to be in.....

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

RLM, you plow driveways that big for 10 dollars a storm? thats a big driveway too.. 400 a year for both driveways.. wow want to come and sub for me? he said 20 events a year

10. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

well i ended up telling them 750 and their reaction made me sound like i was crazy! guess prices around here are just that low.

11. stan the man

stan the man Senior Member
    from maine

i have one shared driveway of 2 houses 1 house i plow and and the another don't do. i am the 1st who break out the main driveway all the time. and the another plow guy fill the of my driveway that i plow. i hate doing driveway that shared.

12. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

I have been getting between $200-$250 for the season in the Webster area. I had one of my clients tell me today they seen an ad for 179.00 Unlimited, it crazy. What part of Webster are u in? I'm near the Penfield/Webster line. Let me know if you need any help.

13. bullettooth81

That's unreal! Most places won't touch a driveway here for under $50! I just sent out a mailer for preseason prices: $25 for 2 car driveway and $35 for 3 car. $450 for the season for 2 car and $550 for the season for 3 car.

My brother has a small 2 car driveway that cost him $85 two years ago when we was on vacation for a single plow. Maybe I should start up in NW Iowa?

14. stan the man

stan the man Senior Member
    from maine

i will not drop plow for less 35.00

15. bullettooth81

That is my contract price for a subdivision three blocks away. 45 and 55 for one time plow.

What do you get?

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Seriously - You'd plow this for $37.50? That's what $750 / 20 comes to. I think you should be glad you didn't get it.

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Mick, Its sad but over here in NH, there are plenty of people who would do that. its extremely aggravating. We have contractors who need to make money and pay for overhead, and then we have everyone and their mother who have plows on their 1980s trucks who will plow that for a 6 pack each time. makes it hard to pay for insurance for most of us