1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shall I buy this Truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Jul 18, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

1995 GMC Dump with 6.5 Diesel and 9' Fisher

Im concerned since it is 2x4. I never plowed with a truck like this or wihout 4 wheel drive. If its cheap I think it might be worth a try. 99,000 miles

Do I really need 4x4, I could throw a salter in the bed, you guys tell me?????

2. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Keep enough weight in the back and don't put it into any ditches and you will be fine!
  3. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

No worries with the 2wd. Like you said put a spreader back there and fill with a couple of tons. Whats cheap? Looks like a municipalty truck..
  4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

take a good look underneath frame rails look really rusty in pics , but with a nice tread in the back and some weight should be a beast of a truck:nod:
  5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You shouldn't have any problem plowing with that. I would be more concrened with rust. Sure looks like some new gray paint around them front wheel wells. Usually a sign of some serious rust. But if she is cheap, then go for it.
  6. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Also be aware of the 6.5l has a problem with the PMD on the injection pumps. They have a tendency to overheat and give intermittent starting / stopping and bucking. See if it is relocated off the driver side injection pump, should be moved to the fender well at least of the bumper to be the best.
  7. hankhill

hankhill Member

I wouldnt be worried about plowing with a 2wd truck, I would be more concerned about the 6.5l tbd under the hood just my opinion though, I'm a ford guy anyways, sharp truck thoough, I really like the L pack wish I had one

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I wouldnt buy it. Motor scares me.
  9. MatthewG

Im looking at it tonight, the motor issues are enough to keep me away, but of course the truck is 15 years old.

Cheap as in under $5000.00, so we will see what happens.
  10. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

5000 isn't bad dump bed and tool box set has got to be worth close to half that it would be worth putting a little cash into in my opinion
  11. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I agree, with some of the pics i have seen of GM trucks on here just check it out.
  12. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Have a spare motor on hand, them 6.5's are junk as said in a earlier post
  13. MatthewG