1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shaking + Burning Smell

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06HD BOSS, Dec 28, 2009.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Kind of a different question...I was on the way home tonight and all of a sudden it felt and sounded like i had a flat tire, so i pulled into a lot and got out looked around, tires were fine. As i was walking up the passenger side front tire to check it i got a wiff of some sort of burning smell. Got under the truck with a flashlight, no oil or tranny leaks. Got in the truck and went home...the rest of the ride everything was fine. Kind of weird. The plow wasnt on the truck when this happened.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Possible brake hanging up .??? Wheel hub bearing ???

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Possible brake hanging up ????? Wheel hub bearing ???

Sorry double post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Rich, I think it's a brake caliper hanging up. Happened to me once, ended up replacing a right front caliper in a Walmart parking lot.

5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Smelt like burnt brakes?

Pull tires and check, if it gets too hot it can eat the wheel bearing so have a good once over while there.

Also, carefull not to burn yourself but next time check the temps of the wheels, a hung up brake is very noticeable by temp. If the right front is alot hotter than the left front good indication. :nod:

6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like a stuck caliper to me. Could be a wheel bearing. Try and "wiggle" the tire, if there is any play, it's a wheel bearing/hub assembly. If not and it's getting hot, definitely stuck caliper.

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill look into today

8. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Same thing happened to me this summer and I thought it was the caliper but after checking it, it was fine. Ended up being a rear axel seal. GM axel fluid is grape scented and it smells horrible when it is heated up and burning off. Just wanted to give you a heads up incase it isint the caliper.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No wake and bake for you!