1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shaking 70 mph-transfer case output play?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jb1390, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have a shake in my truck at 70 mph or so-starts at 50, but gets worse up till 70. Gets a little better if you go a little faster.

It seems like it is better when it is under power-gets worse when you release the accelerator.

I have replaced the rear u-joints twice, balanced tires, tried a different set of tires, all with no improvement.

There is a little bit of play side to side (less than .060) where the driveshaft enters the transfer case. Not sure if this is normal-the play doesn't seem excessive, but I guess I don't really know.

Does anyone know if a little play there is acceptable? I am taking it to a driveshaft place over the next couple days-it might just need to be balanced....but it might need new bearings on the output shaft if the play is unacceptable.

I would just live with it-but don't want the shaking to start breaking other more expensive components.

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

It sounds to me like maybe a bad u-joint although I know you said you changed them out. Does your front driveshaft turn all the time? Did you check either for being bent? Have you checked the fluid in the t-case? I had a new chevy 3/4 ton once that the t-case and automatic transmission started coming apart, turns out the tranny was cracked where the t-case bolted on. The truck was brand new at the time and took the dirty s.o.b.'s over 3 months to get me a new transmission!
    Another thing i just thought of is do you have locking hubs? Maybe one isn't unlocking?
    Just throwing some things out there that could cause your issues.