1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shaft bent coming out of gearbox HELP!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PLOWINHD, Nov 24, 2013.

1. PLOWINHD

PLOWINHD Member

Hello Everyone,

I've recently purchased a used Sno Way Stainless V Box from a scrap yard that was complete although it had been on a truck that had been hit from behind. Its not twisted at all but the impact actually broke the bearing and bent the shaft going to the motor. I've got the old sprocket off and whats left of the bearing but I need to get the shaft out of the gearbox to replace it. Can this be done with the gearbox still attached to the salter? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys or even the model number of the gearbox so I can get a diagram. The gearbox spins freely and turns the conveyor chain with no hiccups. Thanks in advance!! :help:

bent salter  shaft 1.jpg

bent salter shaft 2.jpg

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

First thing I would suggest is abandoning the idea of using any Sno-way parts to rebuild this. It will blow your budget wide open. You can take the side cover off the gearbox without removing it from the spreader. That should let you see what you are going to need to do.

I could not find any breakdowns on SnoWay's website. Here is one of the Hiniker gearbox ... should be very similar.

Attached Files:

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have bent stuff like that back using a hydraulic ram and chain in the toplink of a TPH on a tractor. Gentle and slow. I would try it before deciding to replace it.

4. PLOWINHD

PLOWINHD Member

Thanks bliz&hinikerdlr, it looks about the same as mine, I'm going to pop the input shaft cover on the bottom tomorrow and see what I can find as far as releasing that input shaft.

5. PLOWINHD

PLOWINHD Member

Thanks Mr. Markus, thats a good idea, I managed to track down a guy that I did some concrete work for this year today that just happens to be a millwright lol and he said he might be able to heat it up using wet rags and water to protect the oil seal but I dont know.. I think the oil seal is GOONED anyway because when I opened the side cover water came out

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Probably just a grease box anyway. I rebuilt an old Smith once and had a machine shop make the shafts I needed. Did em in stainless too. Won't cost too much!

7. PLOWINHD

PLOWINHD Member

thanks lilweeds,

did you pull the gearbox off and take it to them, let them take the bent shaft out?