1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SFD, Skokie Fire Department

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mark13, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Got bored so I went into Skokie (next to Chicago) to ride with my dad at the fire department for a while. Took around a hundred pictures, he's just what I feel are the best of them. None of them are to great though, really need to clean my glass.

Incident Command (yes, it looks like an ambulance)
    6.0 powered E350, 4x4 converted, lots of lights, really top and back end heavy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from inside on the way to a call.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Going to a very minor car accident.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Pictures from around the Station 18 (also have 2 more stations, 16 and 17, not 18 total stations)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]
    Squad 18 (Rolling toolbox with all the cool stuff)
    [​IMG]
    Back of the Ambulance.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting for the next one to come in
    [​IMG]

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Only the best trucks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would be nice if we could do more images per post, say 20 images instead.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Nice pics Mark. Are they a ALS transport dept?

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They are all ALS. Being intowards a major city they have around 6 large hospitals to choose from within a few minute drive. Big change from out here where 15 minutes will get me to 1 hospital with the others being 25min+ away.

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Good stuff here, Mark ussmileyflag

10. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

sweet pics

11. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

cool pics. funny seeing the post. i see those trucks everyday cruisin around since i live in skokie. not too much action around here for them im sure though. boring ass town

12. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Gotta love the fire trucks. My buddy and I skipped math a few times in school to go visit his dad at the fire station and just look at the trucks lol.

That E350 needs a plow the front end sits way too high. That must be a pain to work on though there cant be a square inch of room underneath that hood.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Skokie is actually quite busy. Station 18 was the busiest station out of MABAS Division 3 (around 40ish stations in the area), somewhere around 8,800 calls last year.

I havn't opened the hood, but I'd be afraid to see what I would find underneath.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Paid or Volly?

15. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Good pics Mark, and you're right about Pierce. We run mostly Pierce rigs (Heavy Rescue & Engines), we have one POS E-One Engine and a so-so Spartan/LTI Tower.

Stik208 - I would hope they're a paid dept running 8800 calls from one station, we're a volly dept with 3 stations and are spent running an average of 2200-2600 calls a year (granted about 1500 of those are EMS runs, but tiring none the less).

16. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Nice pics. I was at the Lombard station a few weeks ago when I was moving my sister into her new house. I can't imagine running that many calls. My dept runs 200 or so a year but we are all fire and rescue, no EMS/first responder.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

All fulltime paid members.

All paid fire fighters and office personel. Fire Department is ISO Class 1 rated. I beleive there are 44 ISO Class 1 rated departments in the US.

For those who don't know what ISO is: "What is the PPC program?
    ISO collects information on municipal fire-protection efforts in communities throughout the United States. In each of those communities, ISO analyzes the relevant data using our Fire Suppression Rating Schedule (FSRS). We then assign a Public Protection Classification from 1 to 10. Class 1 generally represents superior property fire protection, and Class 10 indicates that the area's fire-suppression program doesn't meet ISO’s minimum criteria.

By classifying communities' ability to suppress fires, ISO helps the communities evaluate their public fire-protection services. The program provides an objective, countrywide standard that helps fire departments in planning and budgeting for facilities, equipment, and training. And by securing lower fire insurance premiums for communities with better public protection, the PPC program provides incentives and rewards for communities that choose to improve their firefighting services.

ISO has extensive information on more than 44,000 fire-response jurisdictions."

http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/0000/ppc0001.html

18. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Great pics. also remimber 343

19. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

A few guys from my dept and myself got a chance to spend some time with a couple FDNY guys this past weekend. They were staying at our station. Some of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Getting to sit down and shoot the **** with them was absolutley amazing!!

20. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Nice to see more brothers on here, I'm a chaueffer in a city of 11 square miles with 60 something thousand people running 11-12000 calls a year.