1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Several Stupid Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by a.paul, Oct 21, 2008.

1. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Okay...so I don't need to buy a plow truck. I still want to, however. And I've always wanted a dump body, so while I've been looking at other trucks, I keep getting drawn back to the dumps.

Anyway--a local used truck place has an 04 Chevy 1 ton, dump body, Fisher 9 foot V Plow, 62K miles.

They want $21K for it. That seems high to me, and I checked at kbb.com, they list it at $16,700.

Another place has a 2000 with the same mileage and a plow for $15K (which also seems high to me, given the market).

So I thought I'd ask you gents what you thought. I'm also assuming (I know about assuming) that because they're 1 ton trucks they're less apt to be hurt by plowing. I've looked at the 2000 and it looks more like it sat a lot than worked a lot, I haven't seen the 04.

What do you think, and what kinds of things should I be checking on...and also, how do you negotiate with dealers? I've never really done that, but these prices in this market seem pretty stupid to me.

Thanks for any input.

2. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

cant go by kbb. that truck at auction is stilll going for 12-15K atleast.

3. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Which truck? I mentioned two. :)

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I'm not sure about your area, but around me the banks and dealers seem to mostly go by NADA value instead of KBB.

5. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Okay, so NADA says 14,650 for the 04.

6. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

So I was told by the dealer with the 04 that I couldn't use KBB or NADA as a guide because they were unreliable for "commercial" vehicles.

I'm not sure I get that...any thoughts? Anyone? Thanks.

7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

is the truck gas or diesel?

8. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Both trucks are gassers.

Older one is a 350, 04 is a 6.0L.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No stupid questions, except those from Gicon, LLM and a few others.

Or if you really want fun, do a search for Kenworth. Back when Gicon was in diapers there was a guy who wanted to buy a Kenworth to plow residential drives.

Not sure if last night was more entertaining that one, both were pretty good.

10. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The "unreliable for commercial vehicles" thing is partly a sales pitch to discount information that makes it harder for him to make a sale and partly true. Confused yet? The dealer's primary reason for existing is to make a profit. The more the better. We all understand that. The problem with NADA or KBB is that they don't do a very good job of factoring in value added aftermarket components. If you consider the last dump truck/plow truck I bought, I paid for a plow & dump bed but the truck they were mounted on was thrown in for free. A 15K truck with a 5K dump bed and a 5K snowplow is a 17K truck in NADA's world. If the dealer is asking 21K he's not really crazy, just trying his best to ignore depreciation of used machinery. I think NADA over-depreciates it.

Ultimately, the correct price is whatever somebody is willing to pay. Make an effort to meet the dealer's need to feed his family, but don't ever pay asking price. My first offer on used vehicles is usually about 75% of asking price. I've never paid more than 85%. Don't be afraid to hand him your business card with your offering price on it say "Call me when you want to sell it." as you walk out the door. It's a cheesy acting game, but it works.

One more thing: The "This market" expectation of lower prices is a factor, but doesn't apply as much to commercial Cab-n-Chassis vehicles because people need to get their work done no matter what. The reason pickup sales dropped off a cliff is because soccer moms decided they don't need a crew-cab 3/4 ton truck to get Johnnie to school after all now that fuel costs more than a Latte.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  11. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Good point, that, and one I actually wasn't thinking about.