1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up truck ....First timer!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z1bigtom, Dec 13, 2003.

1. z1bigtom

z1bigtom Junior Member
    from NJ

Hey guys........this site came highly recommended got some questions..

I'd like some suggestions on buying a plow. A local 7-11 owner is going to setup my truck so i can plow for him and others...

I have a 74 Powerwagon thats not to pretty, but is strong!

I'm just researching plows now and would like some advice...

Whats the best way to do this.......Go new or buy used?

The plow setup is gonna be worth more then my truck i'm assuming so would it be better to get a used setup?

Are these things tradded and people upgrade then resold......

Its just gonna be used for some small parking lots and driveways etc....

I know i'm gonna need dual batterys, but what else is mandatory....

And what would be a average cost for a complete setup installed....Just a ballpark....

thanks.......

Definetley a power angle also....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  2. classicman

classicman Member

I've never needed dual batteries, and I have run a 70"s Dodge (in the 90's) + 1 one of my trucks is an 86' Chevy that I'm plowing with (maybe tonight). I do take the time to put a slow charge on the battery. Regarding what plow to buy... cripes, these guys will argue that one all night if ya get 'em going. Buy whatever you can get serviced locally. I've owned Meyer and Western, am intrigued by the Boss posts, but I really don't give a sh*t as long as the local guy has parts and service. I really wouldn't be hesitant to buy way used in your position, either. To me the key is having back-up in case something takes a dump on me... this site can help you do that too- actually, that would be my first step. Interestingly enough, I had two guys approach me today looking for trucks. One of them had 17 commercial accounts with NO PLOW mounted on his vehicle- He had spent the last several weeks shopping around, found himself a great Fisher/BOSS whatever, and now no one to mount it because of the impending storm(s), coupled with last weeks demand. Bottom line, strike while the kettles hot, as long as ya' don't wind up with a snowbear, at least if you plan to post here (these guys are WAY anal about that). Get a flashing light. Buy a solenoid. Use hydraulic fluid designed for plowing. Put dielectric grease on the electrical connections. Go easy on your tranny. PRAY in direct correlation to the number of accounts you have. Good luck pard, ya want more answers, just let me know.payup

3. z1bigtom

z1bigtom Junior Member
    from NJ

Ok sounds good.........

So whats a good plow length? For light duty stuff.....

Now since i'm a ebay junky, i've been lookin........

I see the Western Uni-mounts for sale alot.....Complete for about 1200-1500......Used of course...

What do you need for that...Just the correct frame mount and thats it........

Is something like this ebay ad a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447681754&category=6763

4. classicman

classicman Member

2900+ for the plow, plus shipping, plus mount...plus installation-- nothing local? It's gonna snow where you and I are in about an hour- Now is not an especially good time to be attempting to save a buck or two via e-bay. Get up in the morning, grab the Sunday paper, and call on every plow listed. Ask any plower you happen to see who's doing his welding, get the plow mounted, then go pay for it all TOMORROW, by plowing snow. If the plow is a cable op western and it comes off a Chevy-- buy it. Ford, buy it. Dodge buy it and give the seller a kiss on the butt while you're taking his plow off... bottom line, it can be adapted to fit your truck if need be. A frames and their equivalent hold up alot of guys needlessly- give the problem to the welder- he'll complain, but they like to do that, it's in the job description or something.
    Oh, I forgot to tell you to get duct tape if you wanna plow snow.

5. classicman

classicman Member

6. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

I have a truck just like yours and have ran a Boss 8' 2" V plow on it for many years it is an excellent combination that truck will carry a very heavy plow with no help, Don't get a small plow for that rig bigger is best. If you do want a wimpy plow I will sell you one for $500 a Meyers 7 1/2 foot belt drive unit that will bolt right on your truck. A V plow is great for carrying snow if you need to move it across a parking lot without leaving trails everywhere they also work great for stacking.
    Two batteries give more trouble and don't do any good for continuous plowing if the alternator is too small check this out on Ebay 247701001 this is what I have on my truck and it works well, I think there is a 100 amp one that will bolt right up also.Here is a good looking plow on Ebay, would be just the right size for your truck 2447471365.
    Run two heavy cables from the plow pump directly to the battery to make sure it gets enough juice. Add 800 pounds ballast at the back of the box to balance things out.
    Hyperpack

7. z1bigtom

z1bigtom Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks guys...........Classicman.....I'm a welder/Fabricator...So it makes life alot easier. Its just the unknow of what will work and what wont. I have 0 experience with plows. ( obviousley )

Hyperjack........My truck also has the optional Closed Knuckle Dana 70 so i have the 4500lb axle in the front, 60 in rear...

So maybe a little bigger huh?

Lemme check those Ebay listings u gave....

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Be careful with older trucks. The setup can be difficult because of rust, bent frame and as previously mentioned, the great unknown. You might want to look into a 5 - 10 year old rig with a plow on it. The used car market is so depressed that you can throw the 3k plow and mounting money ( approx) at a good used rig and be ahead of the game and know the unit will work.

9. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

i would look that ol' goat over real close before you go out and spend money on a plow for it. unless that rig is from florida,you can bet that the frame has BIG rust on it .look on the pass.side behind the cab.take a hammer to it and see what falls off.check the rear crossmembers to see if they are actually there and eyeball the tank straps while your under it. if it looks good,have at it. but dont go for the meyers,even though they were popular for those trucks,take the time to get a fisher set up. the fisher doesnt have those dumb springs that fold the plow over at the slightest obstacle.good luck!!:p

10. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Cool..another old PowerWagon plower. I've got a 77 Club Cab. :)

Best bang for the buck is to find an old 72-93 Dodge used plow setup that is still in decent condition. It doesn't have to be perfect...just make sure it's up to the task at hand. There is even a frame mount setup on E-Bay right now that is located IN JERSEY. Current bid is somewhere aroun$350 for everything but the plow itself. There is absolutly nothing wrong with the Meyers plow setups. There's been a 7.5' on my truck since '82.

Don't even think of looking into a newer rig than you already have. If your PowerWagon is roadworthy...go for it. These trucks are easy to work in. Only problem I can forsee is finding parts for the closed knuckle front axle....but then, chances are you won't need 'em. They are TANKS. The Dodge's from 72-93 don't USUALLY suffer from frame rust unless they have been a plow truck most of their life (at least here in the Pa. area) Only frame spot I would check for would be the front spring hanger area on the Drivers side REAR spring. This area can be an issue if your truck has the fuel tank located under the bed. I believe your 74 still has the tank in the cab? Also, I'm only running a single battery. Oh...If it's an automatic....get a BIG tranny cooler installed BEFORE you go plowing. You're tranny and you wallet will thank you. If you're doing commercial stuff, be sure to get proper insurance.

Classicman's advice is right on as well. :)

Hyperpack...is your user name derived from the Mopar Hi-performance slant 6 from back around 60-61? :)

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

find a used 7.5 fisher or western to put on it

12. z1bigtom

z1bigtom Junior Member
    from NJ

Frame is solid, and tank is already under frame.......Truck was never plowed, just the cab is shot!

Auto is gone already swaped in a NP 435...;)

Called a place here in NJ today....Seely truck in Farmingdale...

Dick head told me they dont make and cant make anything work on my truck.....He actually recommended to me to buy a new truck!!!1:mad: :mad: :mad:

So anyway for a Meyer 8' price was 3450.00 installed on a new dodge...3150.00 not installed.......

My buddy can and has made anything work on any truck...fords to chevy and whatever.....So just gonna proably find something local for around 1500.00 used....

I really appreciate all the info guys.....

13. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

$1500.00 for a used plow? $1500.00 around here will get you a plow with the truck attached!! shop carefully,like anything used,it will have problems.but if you know what to look for you will do ok.stay away from anything that was used by the city or a town.