1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up for next year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shooter, Mar 5, 2005.

1. shooter

shooter Junior Member

My friend has offered me the chance to plow with him next year, and I am wondering, for a part time rig, what do you guys recommend?
    Seems like a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck is favored, but what about plow size and warning lights?
    This will be used for small commercial lots.

Thanks in advance....

Orland Park, Illinois
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Take a look at this tread here called "Best 5 grand plow rig"

If you're looking for something cheaper, there are some good ideas here. For a plow size, I recommend the 8. A 7 1/2 is fine also, but the price difference isn't much and with many trucks, you'll be cleaning up less with the 8 which will save you time. Time is money in this business.

Like I always say, your choice of plow truck is personal. Each of the big 3 has it's own quirks, good and bad points. As you can see, I run a Dodge 3/4 ton and she's coming out of one of the snowiest winters we've had in years just fine and she had nearly 90K at the beginning of the season. 1/2 vs. 3/4 ton is another thing that's debatable. It depends on your circumstances. I think you should always go as big and heavy duty as you can afford in plowing, but there are plenty of members here running 1/2 tons with no problem.

As you said it's a "part time" thing you may be fine with a 1/2 ton, but you may have to upgrade or spend more to maintain it because of it's lack of heavy duty components. I think besides 4wd, the most important thing in a plow rig is an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler. Again, you can 'get along' without it, but it's a great thing to have and most 1/2 tons do not come with them factory.

Whatever you buy you have to be comfortable driving and it has to be mechanically sound. Plowing will expose mechanical weaknesses in a truck REAL fast and the rig's no good to you if it's in the shop while the white stuff is coming down so keep that in mind. Oh, and whatever you drive, YES, get an amber warning light of some kind, especially if you're going to be doing lots.

I'm sure you'll be able to find something, good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Warning lights are even more personal a choice- some like their truck to be lit up like a xmas tree (obnoxious IMHO) others just have a simple single strobe in the cab roof. I recomend something that will make sure your seen but somewhere in the middle. I use a Federal Signal twin rotator mini light bar- cost just under $100 (northerntool.com has them), magnet mount cig light plug. comes off in april and goes on in November (or december depending on how lazy I am) Plenty of light but not annoying.

If you like what your doing you can always add corner strobes or a bigger light bar later. Better to be sure your seen with the lights, but if you want to go cheap and minimalistic get a single strobe magnet mount for the cab- I used to use that too- it's my backup beacon now. Plenty bright and does the job.
  4. shooter

shooter Junior Member

thanks guys

thanks for the ideas. I was looking at an 85 F250, but I think I'll hold off and keep shopping. Something 3/4 or 1 ton is in the future.

again thanks,

5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

fords have 1/2 mile turning radius.