1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up Fisher 8' MM2 for gravel road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eyeflyfish, Oct 20, 2003.

1. eyeflyfish

eyeflyfish Junior Member
    from maine

I have a 2003 2500HD and a Fisher 8' MM2
    When i picked up my plow it was set-up for scraping tar roads however I am only doing a gravel road only .There are 3 holes in the pushears (each side) on the a-frame for the step pins. Mine was located on the bottom hole and when plow was dropped goes right to the ground (can't add any more washers on the shoes to raise plow). When I go to the middle hole , now the shoes are on the ground and it appears i may have maybe 3/4 inch clearance but not enough yet , I wanted about 2 inches without having to raise plow, so I try the top hole. Now the heel of the shoes are just barely making contact with the ground and the plow is dropped as low as it can go and there is slack in the chain and yet something is not allowing the plow to drop. I can rock the plow up and down, something is not allowing it to drop to the ground . You would think it would with all that weight, If the shoes were a little longer I could add more washers to get some height. Are there other shoes or ski's out there that that fit this plow that are higher?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Fish, the 3 holes are for setting up the plow based on the height of the mount, not what you are plowing. With most of the chevys being in the center hole (not sure if it lists the settings in the owners manual, have never bothered to read the owners manual, just the tech manual). By changing the holes you change the angle of attack of the blade. It sounds like something isnt right if the blade wont touch the ground in one setting. With the plow off the truck and the chain off the lift arm you should be able to roll the headgear backwards to some where around 45 degrees from straight up freely, if not something is not right (watch out for the turn hoses when you roll the head gear back). If you need to know the measurements or how something goes together, let me know and i will bring the assembly manual home.
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

TWO WORDS for plowing gravel roads/driveways/lots.

Urethane Edges
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The problem with fisher is that base angle needs to worn up 1.5-2" before the u edge can be attached. If we install a 8" edge on a brand new base angle, we will change the leverage forces cuasing the blade to trip much easier and possibly causing damage to the base angle. However, if it was me and I had the choice, I would take the chance with the urethane, and plow smooth on the gravel.
  5. eyeflyfish

eyeflyfish Junior Member
    from maine

Crash, Your right about the middle position for my chevy but the dealer had it on the bottom and suggeted i move it up one position for gravel, it does change the angle of attack. good tip about removing the plow and pushing on the headgear back to see how far it goes. Won't be able to check it for a week, as far as the edge goes i'll never be able to put any wear on it enough to put a urethane edge on. It's only a problem till the road freezes and or thaws out.
  6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

IT could be that the safty chain is to tight. give it some slack.
  7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

wearing it down

find a nice long road with no manhole covers and drop the plow !!
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You should be in the center holes with that truck as mentioned,as for the clearance,3/4 of an inch doesn't look like much now but it will get you past the first few plowings untill the ground freezes and then you you can throw those shoes just as far as you can heave them.All of my driveways are gravel,you'll be just fine:nod:
  9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Arc Burn! Long time no see! :D Glad to see you made it back on Plowsite. Did you get the problem fixed, and if so, what was it? :waving: