1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

setting up a duel plow solenoid system

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FourDiamond, Feb 18, 2013.

1. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

After changing a Meyers solenoid in the dark, with the wind blowing, I got the idea of installing a second plow solenoid on the firewall with a second plow wiring harness. The only wiring not hooked up would be the power from the battery. So the extra harness would terminate in the cab at the plug that attaches to the controller, and on the other end, the black, green and white terminals that attach to the plow pump. That way, in the event of a problem, you just unplug the first harness and plug in the second. We already carry an extra E-60 pump and extra controller in each truck. Any thoughts??

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Why not. Kind of over kill but it would make repairing it in the middle of the night at -30 a lot faster. I have gone with way over kill, I have a second truck. :)

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I have my solenoids hooked up in series. No need to switch anything around. On my other truck the main power wire pin or the female side on the truck wasn't making contact form taking the plow on and off over the years it got pushed up inside the plug. All of a sudden I no longer had power.

We added a separate power wire now running from the solenoids to the plow motor. They mate with a big Anderson connector so they come apart easy when i pull plow off.

Also do not like to use those cheesy solenoids most plow come with. Trombetta makes some nice heavy duty ones. I don't think your Meyers draws as much amperage as my blizzard so these may be overkill.

Halton Hills-20111130-01307.jpg

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Don't you mean in parallel?

Redundancy is a beautiful thing. I also run my tailgate salters off a Trombetta solenoid, and have swapped over to plowing use in a pinch.