1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up a business.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kennedy81, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

For the past several years I have been a subcontractor for a construction complany doing plow work. However; this year I plan on going solo, I have two trucks, and two other people commited to helping me, as well as access to a skid and a hoe, so equipment is not an issue.

In the past when subcontracting I always have carried million dollar commercial liabiliy insurance on both of my trucks. I was wondering though, that since this year i'm going solo, and don't actually have a business to plow under, if I should look into setting up some sort of legit business for plowing, possibly an LLC. Mainly for the fact that if there were to be a law suit do to someone slipping and falling, I would like to keep the lawsuit from comming after my personal things, house, etc. I figure with a business they could only come after the business. On top of the liability issue, it would also make me legal as far as taxes and such go.

Any thoughts, comments? I'm not sure how exactly to go about this yet. I plan on talking to my attorney here in the next week or two and getting his input. Basically I just dont' want to be personally liable, i'd rather have a business be liable.

Hope that makes since, thanks in advanced.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To limit your personal liability, you will need to structure the business according to your state law. Check with your attorney. BUT, doing nothing (plowing without insurance and/or no company structure - commonly known as "under the table") leaves your **** swinging in the wind. Basically, a target for whoever wants to take a shot at it.