1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting up 1989 KW W900B

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Capt. Sasquatch, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Capt. Sasquatch

Capt. Sasquatch Junior Member

Hi,I work for a large shellfish company and we plow our shipyard lots and commercial wood piers as well as city streets that lead to our yards. We run a 06 1500 chevy, 04 3/4 ton ford and use a 3yard Hough and 12 yard Trojan. Due to the recent Blizzard we have decided to retire the KW tractor and set it up for plowing. Its got powerdivider and locking axles, air ride, wet line, and a recent 3406 cat. I'm trying to find info on availability of oem plow mounting brackets as well as if the wet line can be used in some way for the plow hydraulics. We have our own steel fabricating shop as well as complete basic in house repair of marine hydraulics but have little knowledge of trucks.We intend to shop for a used 10.5 -11' swing blade plow.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I would look for a Flink or something of that sorts. As for the wet line ut really depends how it it set up. It can definitely be done just have to replumb it to fit your application. You had also better realize that you will need to remove the fifth wheel and put ALOT of weight there to get any traction.

3. Capt. Sasquatch

Thanks for the info. The fifth wheel has already been removed and a 3,000 lb block is mounted in its place. We also are prepared with chains. I was concerned about too much rpm on the hydrailics even traveling slow while plowing. Thinking eng speed would be a little high while in lower gears.

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I have an 11' Flink on an 8500 Topkick with central hydraulics. Flinks are not only built like tanks, but are well engineered and have easy to service (and access) zerks, rams and wheels.

5. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

Why would you remove the 5th wheel ? All you had to do was mount a mafia block on it and you'd still have a usable tractor. Use a bumper to axle plow hitch and airdraulics air piston out of Randolph MA http://www.airdraulicengineering.com/Truck_Snow_Plows.html , nice and simple plus very reliable plus you can rig it to the trolley to raise and lower the plow.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Capt. Sasquatch

The company has no use for the tractor and will be installing a flatbed on the chassis for moving equipment between yards. We use to pull dump trailers moving Oyster shell between Ct, N.J., Virginia. The tractor has been sitting for a over a year idle and the blizzard pushed our buttons.

7. Capt. Sasquatch

Very interesting idea for controlling the plow. The truck has been idle for over a year and we're putting a flatbed on it to move equipment and parts between yards. No need for the fifth wheel at this time.

8. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Major problem I see here is the pto. A mount can be made. The wet kit will almost without doubt be a six or more likely an eight bolt pto on the transmission. Those cannot be used while the transmission is in gear safely. This is like locking the trans into two gears at once and WILL cause damage. A belt of front pto will have to be used and will add a lot of cost

9. Capt. Sasquatch

Thanks for the info on the pto. I do remember the driver releasing the pto with the dump trailer up before moving the truck up to let the remainder of the load slide out. Then putting in to lower the dump. I think I'm going to use the air piston suggested earlier.