1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

setting timeing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikes plowing, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I'm trying to set my timeing on a 87 full size blazer. I was told to set it at 2 degre btdc. If so can any one tell me how to do it.I have it set at tdc I think it is one or two teeth off. The truck runs I been useing it for plowing runs good but not the way it should . can any one help.

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

An '87 should be a TBI truck. I assume thats what he has.

Pull the distributor and reinstall it properly if the teeth are out of phase. The rotor should point towards the left front headlight or so at TDC on cylinder #1. Use the timing marks to confirm you are in the right spot.

Reinstall your cap and wires. Fire the motor.

Disconnect the timing computer (there is a wire connector around the master cylinder area, I think it is tan?). This will disable the automatic timing. Using a timing light and the marks, set the engine to run at 0 degrees. Lock down the distributor.

Reconnect the connector by the booster and let the computer take over from there. It will run as much advance as the engine can tolerate without pinging, which would be detected by the knock sensor.

3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

On my old trucks, had an 87 K10 and a 90 C-1500. They were both located on the passenger side of the firewall. Real easy to find because it will have a quick connector to disconect.

4. derekbroerse

My stuff came out of my '87 R30 and it is definately on the outside of the master cylinder...

Check both locations, apparantly there are some variations...

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I Believe the timing should be @ 0 degrees BTDC I can take a picture of my 87' and 89' chevy's timing connectors and attach the for you tomorrow morning 02/14/05 if it will help.

6. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that the balancer outer rings sometimes slip on high mileage Chevy engines. Mark where the timing is now before you make any adjustments, if you set it to the marks and the truck runs worse, the outer ring has slipped and your timing is not accurate. New balancers are fairly inexpensive, a standard replacement is around 40 bucks. The rubber on the balancer being pushed out is usually a sign that the balancer is on its way out.

7. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks for the help I just put the motor in this year bran new. The one guy I was talking to said he sets all the ones he dose at 2 bdc. I have the tbi set up. I guess when I did it the first time I was letting the truck get the best of me.Old 82 k-10 was running out of insp, had to get blazer on the road for this years snow. Still looking for the big one to come down. :confused: I'll have to take my time and look at it soon. No snow to be found soon. :cry:

8. derekbroerse

Another thing that can happen (if the motor is a rebuild, not a crate motor) is the wrong balancer and tab combination can be used. Checking thru the spark plug hole is probably the best way to confirm if the mark is in the right place.

9. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks for the in put! I'll see what I can do to get it set.First I want to take it to the 4x4 shop and have the front u-joints fixed.It's grinding when the hubs are locked in. After I get it back if still no snow, I'll see what I can do with the timeing. Thanks for the help.I hope it soon snows I need the payup to do other work to.