1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Setting Idle Mixture

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by guilty1, Mar 14, 2003.

1. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

Recently rebuilt my quadrajet. When I back out the mixture screws, I run out of travel on the idle speed screw. That is, I can't turn the base idle down anymore, the idle speed screw ends up being backed out so far that it does not touch the throttle linkage. I understand that I should back out the mixture screws until the RPM and the vacuum stops getting higher...but now I am at the point where the idle screw does not touch the throttle linkage...any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You either have a vacuum leak,or bad throttle shaft bushings,which will leak air.The extra air raises the idle speed and needs a richer idle mixture,which is why you can back the mixture screws all the way out,and it still runs half decent.If you gently move the throttle side to side,does the idle raise or drop,or have a lot of play ? If so the shaft bushings are toast.

Double check your timing too,too high intial timing can also cause a high idle.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

MAKE SURE THE FAST IDLE SCREW ISNT STUCK ON THE FAST IDLE CAM I USAUALLY TURN THE SCREW IN ALL THE WAY THEN BACK OUT I I/2 TURN FOR A STARTING POINT

CARDOCTOR

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

Cardoctor,

why do you insist on typing in caps?

it's considered shouting.

5. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

Fast idle isn't stuck, it was at operating temp when I was adjusting mixture. I haven't pushed the throttle plates side to side yet, but when I was rebuilding, they seemed good. The hot idle compensator circuit maybe should be plugged...it is missing. I found that my 1979 carb is also missing the HIC...is it common practice to just remove this assembly?

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

1 - i have bad hearing so i always shout

2- im helping the older folk that have bad eye sight

3 when your typing with one finger its easy to forget to shut off cap locks what ever that is

4- what geek decided that caps is shouting?

5- if thats all you have to complain about you need to find something to do with your free time(paint the plow, change the oil in the pump something

CARDOCTOR
    DONT WORRY BE HAPPY
    :drinkup:

7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

geek question

Car Doctor is right. What geek made up the rule that using caps is considered shouting?

That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

While we are on the subject of geekdom, I really don't care how bad some of you plowmen spell. Some of the most informative posts have been from fellas who don't spell too well. But they communicate great, and they pass on worthy ideas to all of us which help us in our jobs, and in making more money.

So fear not, post in caps, post in spelling errors, but keep posting. Ideas come in all sizes, caps or otherwise.

8. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

Well guys, to answer your question, as to "what geek decided caps are shouting",

The creators of Plowsite did!

refer to the rules of Plowsite,

* DO NOT POST IN ALL CAPS! This is rude and is considered yelling

Caps also make things harder to read.

9. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

CAP HISTORY?

Alright, so it is in the plowsite guidelines. But it was not an original thought on this forum. I see "no caps" in other forums from apples to zebras. So, again, whose midnight oil, slide rule totin', shirt pocket pen protector, chain smokin' geeky idea was this in the first place?

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Going Off Topic....

I'll tell you what. When I first got online, I typed with one finger, and all in CAPS. To me, it was more of a "blueprint" thing. Blueprints and technical drawings use all caps (which is what I was used to). When I print, I always print in all caps. Hell, I can't even write in script anymore, LOL

So I decided to make my first website. Being a greenhorn, I made all my first web pages in all caps. I thought they looked good. Then the complaints started rolling in. "Your site is great, but typing in all CAPS makes it difficult to read". I let the first few go. Then they got more an more frequent, until I started typing all my web pages using proper capitalization. I even went back and typed up old pages using proper capitalization. The complaints stopped. Occassionally, I would get one here and there complaining about all CAPS. So I went through my site, and found about a half dozen of my early pages in all caps. Guess what? I found them hard to read myself!

So I truly understand that all caps is harder to read, and no, I don't wear or need glasses. My vision is 20/20.

The shouting thing is "old school" netiquette. I can understand it, because how else can you let people know you are shouting (or really want to get your point across).

But, I personally stopped typing in all caps because it really is harder to read. Especially if someone posts in all caps, and in BOLD.

LET'S TRY THIS FOR THE SAKE OF COMPARISSON. TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS MIGHT BE HARDER FOR SOME TO READ. I AM GOING TO RAMBLE ON ABOUT USELESS DRIVEL, JUST TO GET A FEW LINES OF BOLD TEXT IN ALL CAPS SO WE CAN DECIDE FOR OURSELVES IF IT TRULY IS HARDER FOR SOME OF US TO READ. I FOUND THAT USING PROPER CAPITALIZATION, IN A BLACK FONT, ON A WHITE BACKROUND IS EASIEST FOR MOST TO READ. I HATE WEB PAGES WITH COLORED BACKROUNDS, OR IMAGES USED AS A WEB PAGE BACKROUND. NOW THOSE REALLY ARE HARD TO READ. I THINK THAT IS ENOUGH DRIVEL. HOW DOES IT LOOK? IS IT HARDER TO READ?

~Chuck

11. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I was so excited to see in my email that someone had responded to my post...then I found out all of the new posts were about CAPITOL LETTERS!

Any body know about that HIC (not shouting-Hot Idle Compensator)? Can I plug it with something other than steel epoxy....something easier to get out if I would ever need too?

By the way, Chuck, the type doesn't make a bit of difference to me ;)!

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can try regular RTV as a temporary fix,and it will be easy to remove as well.Can't tell you how long it will last though.Probably best if you let it cure for 24 hrs with no exposure to fuel for best results