1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

setting chain

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Green Grass, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so i put together my new western MVP plus tonight but there are no instructions on where i should set the chains or how to set the chains proper. Any one know how to set it proper?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I start with setting the truck/plow on a level surface with the plow on the ground and the lift ram fully collapsed, attach the chains to the lift arm hooks in the shortest possible link. Do this with the shoes off.

This initial adjustment should provide a good transport height, blade float, and stacking stop clearance with the ram fully extended. Some guys like them one link shorter so the plow is tight against the stacking stop when fully raised, so don't be afraid to move them up or down a link or two to "fine tune" it to your liking.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah that's how I usually set my chains as well. Works well.

There's only a few places that are straight down off a street that I have to get out and adjust the height.:realmad:

Just in case tho leave a link or two loose. Always seems like in the middle of the night when ya gotta adjust em for those lovely properties, they don't wanna come out and yer out lookin for a curb or snow pile to hit to get a few inches.

4. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I read someone, that you should be on flat level ground, ram fully collapsed, put the chain to the tightest link, then add 3 links (so the chain would be loose), guess I'm going to have to check our ultramount to see if it is true.