1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Set Up Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Balderson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Balderson

Balderson Junior Member

I'm fabricating a mount to an old 78 Chevy 3/4 ton. I'm using the mount that was designed for a late 80s ford. It was fabricated and I've cut away that which pertained to the ford. What I have left is a base mount that coincides with this old swenson spreader plow that I'm using. What I need to do from here is fab it to the chevy. The question that I have is concerning mount height. I understand that the plow needs to be at the correct angle to the surface in order to plow correctly. How can I figure this? Is it a good rule of thumb that when all is done and the plow is lowered and has contact to the road surface that the A frame run parallel to the ground. If so that will help me determine the distance the mount also needs to have from the ground and I can begin to tie it into the framework of the truck. I'm currently working on this and any quick help would help me finish this weekend. Thanks! Ryan
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm pretty sure the a-frame is supposed to be parallel to the ground. Sit it on a floor jack, set the height, and use a tape measure.

Keep in mind that your truck's height will change with ballast, tire sizes etc. so consider loading it ahead of time.
  3. Balderson

Balderson Junior Member

Thanks Brother

I figured so much, that is what I've done, but thought I'd double check with the pros. Thanks again for the help. It's good advice, now i need to figure a load. Take care, Ryan
  4. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

Just not sure but thought that when your A-frame was set on the jack parallel to the ground with your level on it you had to then raise the rear that clips into the clevis frame 3" higher to obtain the correct angle?Still not 100% but any other thoughts.Now I'm wondering.:confused: Don't forget when you lift your plow your front end will also drop with all the weight and this will help to keep good ground clearance.This would make for a good thead on DIY.
    There are no sites for fabrication of old plows on different trucks as many people can't afford all these new plows and only need it for personnal use or on a farm.Be nice if this was a sticky some day!
  5. Balderson

Balderson Junior Member

Thanks for the input, I won't feel too bad about mounting the 36" humvee tires that would raise the truck 2 or 3 inchs then. I should document the fabricatrion for other old school chevy boys and post it. The only thing is that I had to refab a fabricated mount in the first place, not to mention that the plow is a swenson spreader made by dickey john back in the day. It is for personal use on our farmstead. I also need to fab my own shoes and runners.
    If anyone has any more ideas let me know. Meanwhile, I'm scouting for old plows to sell to DIY that need a cheap unit for person use. Take care boys and let it snow.