1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Set-up for Duramax Dually

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dura-max, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dura-max

Dura-max Junior Member
    from Ohio

Guys...been looking all over here and lots of good info but nothing specific to my situation, that I could find. I have been looking for a setup for a 05 3500Duramax, CC, long bed, dually. Everyone around here says you can't put a plow on this truck. I've read about gussets ect here but still have no idea what to do. Ideal plow would be a Wide out of some sort but you guys seem to be the experts on what I can put on this truck, if anything, and how to do it and keep the truck from falling apart. Oh yes I'm one of the lucky ones that only has a 4800 front axle. Any advice would help me!

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I think adding alot of ballast only increases your chances of having problems with the frame in the front. If the plow forces are perpendicular the shear force on the frame is concentrated in a small section in the front. If the frame is angled down in front-nosedive then the plow forces will distribute further back along the frame.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know a guy has same truck he runs a boss 9.2 with wings thats around 12' of plow

4. Dura-max

Dura-max Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks JK Thumbs Up I see what you are saying but I'm hoping for some technical suggestions and equipment suggestions for what I can put on this truck.

5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

You can do quite a bit depending on how hard you push the truck, Its seems that stacking snow puts the most load on the front end, maybe its more than the plow itself. Maybe there's 3 cubic yards of wet snow on the front sometimes, maybe this weighs 2000lbs, it is moving with momentum but what are the forces really being applied to the front frame. Just shopping for what the truck can handle with dry fluffy snow might not really give the most accurate situation.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're not doing anything out of the norm. Add a set of gussets, plenty of ballast (necessary on a dually especially) hang a plow of at least 8.5 ft wide to clear the rear tires and go plow.

7. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

On westerns website it only tells me to put 50lbs in the bed for ballast on my crew cab dually. So you say the more the better?

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I run about 1200lbs. The more the better.

9. Dura-max

Dura-max Junior Member
    from Ohio

B&B I've read many of your replies on this forum, looks like you happen to be one of the best on these big trucks! :D After reading for 2 days I'm blurry eyed....hopefully you can answer a couple more questions for me. I've seen guys messing with their torsion bars and timbrens ect. Any need for me to do any of that? In your experience if I get one of the wide outs would it sit too low? And last but not least Western dealers say 2 to 3 week wait and Boss is up to 6 weeks any other good suggestions on plow suggestions?

:dizzy: Don't ya just wonder about us newbies some times. Last time I plowed was in 79 and 80. 3/4 ton Ford just put plow on and go....times they have a changed.

10. mossman381

You still just put the plow on and go. There really is too much talking these days :nod:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As an initial starting point- four turns on the T-bars bringing the front end height up to where it should be before installing a plow, a set of Timbrens shimmed as needed to account for the height adjustment over stock and at least 800 lbs in the rear on a dually. Hang a WO if that's the plow you want and go plow. Then make any further adjustments from there if needed, another turn or so on the T-bars, more ballast etc.

I understand your concern and good for you for asking the right questions ahead of time, but you're not doing anything out of the ordinary by any means. Guys have been hanging 1000 lb plows on Dmax equipped dually trucks for as many years as they've been around. It'll do the job just fine.

12. Dura-max

Dura-max Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks so much guys! I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone before. Now the agony of choosing a plow. :dizzy:

Any suggestions?

13. mossman381

Now that I go back and read my post, I hope that you didn't take it the wrong way. I didn't mean that you were talking to much. I think that in general there is too much talking and not enough doing. If you know what I mean :)

I think the wideout would be a good choice. People seem to like them.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Things to consider when choosing a plow is a good dealer, the location of said dealer, and brand. But the brand usually has the most factor in your choice (you probably have your mind made up anyway ie; wide out)

15. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

If nothing else get the gussets put on if the truck doesn't already have them .

16. Dura-max

Dura-max Junior Member
    from Ohio

Nope I took it the way you meant it. We must think alike lol. :laughing:

17. mossman381

Yeah, this will be my first year plowing with a dually. I am pretty comfortable driving it now so I don't think I will have any problems. :D