1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Set price for set amount of plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Oct 25, 2001.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

20 plows for $220.00 (double car garage)and so far I'm getting customers and no one is complaining. I'm telling people that I don't include the steps and when I have time on my second round will do the steps when I have time. I want to thank you guys again for helping me to figure out a better way of pricing.

Marty

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

thats very good price If you figure it out $220 divided by 20 plows comes out to be $11 per push right.So we get $35 per push 2 car drives which would be $700 hope your not pricing yopurself to low.

3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Martyman - I would charge more if I where you. Try it on a few customers and see what there response is. I have a max of 14 visit and charge 325.00 for the season. No problems here and I probably could get more.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Martyman - I'm kind of wondering what would they have to complain about? I'd set a minimum charge - I've got one drive I do that takes about five minutes - and it's going to be $20 this year.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I wish I was a homeowner not a plower in your area. Minimum charge for a drive is 35 here. I am actually picking up driveways because it seems in my area that most big companies are going strictly commercial. I think the market for driveways can continue to lead to a solid profit.

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

If you actually do plow 20 times, your price is way to low. You should be able to get at least $20 per push.

In fact, many guys would be.... :mad: less than happy.... with guys charging such a low price. It makes it that much harder to charge a fair price..... and make a profit.

Do they still pay the $220 if you only plow 15 times? If so, you had better hope you get less snow than you expect.

I charge $300 for the season (expected 10 - 15 pushes in my area) and nobody has said a thing about the price being to high.

I don't want to ask what your pricing used to be. :confused:

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I hate to say it, but that isn't too far off for around here. It kills me, but there are hundreds of guys, even very large companies who charge $180 per season, and many have a 1 inch trigger. This is lake effect country, and 15 -20 1 inch snows are not uncommon.

These big companies must make it up by doing large numbers.

8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

$180 for 15-20 pushes. That's only $9 - $12 per push. That is insane!! That wouldn't even pay for my gas, washer fluid, donuts, cigarettes......

The only way they could make money that way is if they have 50 or so houses right next door to each other (no drive time). And even then......

Do they make up for it by charging higher for add-ons? (salting etc)

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Am I to assume thats in Canadian $$$'s?

10. PINEISLAND1

I just pulled out a current ad from a competitor-

A standard double drive is $165 for the season, at a 1 inch trigger! They state that after the plows go through they will return to clear the end of the drive and in front of the mail box!

I dont know what add ons there cfould be for residential. I just dont know anyone who salts residentials here.

They have a group discount, 3 or more on a block subtract another $10 each!

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Remember Martyman's original $11/push? That was Canadian (approx $9 I think).

12. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

PINEISLAND1: Is that from a company that you know has been around awhile, or is it a new one?

Actually, it would be $7.15 US

Last edited: Oct 25, 2001
  13. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Leave the truck in the driveway and hit the snowmobile trails...

14. PINEISLAND1

10 years in business.

15. martyman

martyman Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head.. Marty

16. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Preconceived notions...

If you are convinced a driveway is worth $6-$11 per push, you are right! I'd figure out how to sell some profitable work and leave the rest to the bottom feeders that haven't a clue about business and profitability. The choice is truly yours. You would be better off with 3 profitable accounts than 15 marginally profitable accounts!

Not everyone in your market is working for beans. There are people in my market that charge as little as $25 for a commercial lot slightly larger than an acre. I don't.

Equipment is too expensive to treat plowing like a hobby. I know I am higher priced than most of my competition. Do I care? Nope. If people talk and say I'm expensive, so be it. We get our share of work and I'm never left feeling I did "public service "work. :)

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Maybe they are taking those jobs so that they have some sort of paper loss. Any accountants out there? That is the only reason I can think of to plow a drive for under $20!