1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Set of 4 Trucks, worth it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 77gmcserria, Dec 23, 2008.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

A few months ago a company was selling 4 trucks that has contracts for the state highway. The company wanted $65k(could be bought indevidualy as well) for the 4 trucks:

1973 White: 10yd salt/sand capacity, Fuller Roadranger 10 speed standard, 6v53 Detroit Diesel, wing plow and 10' highway plow $10k (10k miles on rebuild)

1982 International: 10yd salt/sand capacity, 3208 cat. diesel engine, allison automatic tranny, 10'power angle plow $15k (10k miles on rebuild)

1985 Mack: 20yd salt/sand capacity, 237 mack turbo diesel engine, 6 speed allison transmission, 11' power angle plow, computerized sanders, jake brake $20k (49K Miles)

1985 Mack: 20yd salt/sand capacity, 237 mack turbo diesel engine, 6 speed allison transmission, 10' fisher plow, computerized sanders, jake brake $20k (48k Miles)

The trucks were painted every year with rust-olium pain and clear coat including the saner boxes in side and out. I was told that the trucks take in $100k combined.

After going throught the figures I figured that it would be hard to make any money between , Insurance, Fuel, Pay Roll, Auto Insurance , Workmens comp, etc..

That dosen't seem right. I would have hired 4 people to drive the trucks.

Is that a good deal for the trucks?

2. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Anyone? It seems like a good deal.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Well, the only way they make $100K combined is you have $100K worth of work for them. I have no idea if that is a good deal.

4. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

I was told that even on bad winters they made 100k. And the contracts go with them.

5. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Must be for mass highway...

6. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

if you're buying the trucks and contracts it seems pretty fair. How long are those trucks contracted with the state?

7. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Not Sure, the owner didn't say.

8. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

One thing to keep in mind is the age of the trucks, if the contract is for another few years then you have to take in consideration, repair on the trucks, body shape, shape that the frame is in, and your typical maintenance. The newest truck is 23 years old, and the oldest is 35. Next thing you have to consider is do you have indoor storage for them. There is allot of things to consider on purchasing these trucks, personally I would not buy them for highway contracts, residential or parking lots maybe. Just giving my two cents.

9. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

Just my take Trucks are too darn old,plows are a bit small.
    Next i would not own a 73 Detroit motor in anything
    Next nor would i own a 3208 Cat in anything.Both are not great motors.
    All the equip you post can be bought at bargain basement prices before winter,I think it would be cash spent badly . You will need very good mechanics and have 10 guys you can trust.To run a fleet of stuff that old.
    Walk away after you find out about contracts and maybe ride along 1 storm,you will get the idea. Maybe bid next year and buy one good piece of equipment and start from there.

10. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

if it was mass highway it would be a 100k per truck

i would hate to see what a sanding trucks looks like after 25+ years