1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SES glow plug ciruit?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ticki2, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Truck is an 03 chevy duramax with California emissions. The SES light is on , had the code read and it says po380 glow plug cicuit . The circuit consists of two elements, the glow plugs and the controller. The controller has relays for the glow plugs and the intake air heater. At least this is what I understand. The question is , are there any tests to determine which part is failing without a code reader ? Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I would have to say NO... Find someone with a tech II scanner.
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Could be either a glow plug or a relay. A GM Tech-2 could narrow down the problem very quickly.

The Tech-2 scanner can display the amperage and resistance for each glow plug. If the resistances for them are extreme numbers (65 ohms, when spec, if I recall should be between .1 and 1 ohm) then the glow plug is bad. Also, an amperage reading of 0 (normal is usually btw. 19-22 amps), then the plug could be bad.

When you go to start the truck, does it start fine? If its a relay, I would think that the truck would start pretty roughly.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009