1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Servicing the allison transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevytruck85, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I am about to do a service on my 05 3500 with the allison transmission I was wondering if anyone has done theres before and how much fluid I will need and also what is there for fillters and gaskets and such. thanks.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You may want to try these guys www.dieselplace.com there are a lot of knowledgeable people over there.
  3. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I am getting ready to do the same.. I ordered 1 stock allison filter, and 5 gallons of synthetic amsoil fluid. I found a place here to change it for me with my fluid and filter for $75. You can't beat that.. I think total it will cost me around $200 and I don't have to get dirty.

i will say that diesal place is the right site to look for info on the tranny. if you want to change the fluid yourself look for the hoot's method. it seems simple, but I figured for $75 I will just pay someone to take care of it for me..

Good Luck
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

an o5... just spin off the twist off filter under the truck, and twist on a new one. You shouldn't have to change any fluid yet. Even if you do change any fluid, when you pull the drain plug on the bottom of your trans pan, you will only drain out 7qts. of somthing like a total of 20 or 22qts.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

There are two filters on the allison
    one is the spin on referred to above, it's spin off, spin on new one add one quart back in,

the other filter is deep inside the pan, you have to drop it and suck all the fluid out (it doesn't fall as the poster above referenced) and it's a lot of fluid.

just a FYI