1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service your plows people!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by got-h2o, Jan 22, 2012.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I don't know why I'm on a service kick today, but I just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder to SERVICE YOUR PLOWS. The more often, the better, and use good fluid. The brand name synthetic fluids are made for a reason. If you have a Western plow, use Western fluid....Boss plow, use Boss fluid, and so on. I am a stickler for this. The first thing a dealer or manufacturer will ask when you have a warranty issue is, what type of fluid are you using. The "S.A.M" brand blue fluid is pretty good as well and usually will mix well with other brands, especially for emergency on site use. Keep a quart or 2 on you and tools enough to fill. Lastly on fluids, a cap full of Heet or other gas line antifreeze work's too to keep the moisture away.

Now my reason for this thread was........I always see people asking about this issue or that. I see and hear it all the time in my daily routine or here on the forum. It's always "this thing hasn't given me a single problem in X years". The first question I ask.....has it been properly serviced? The typical answer.....no, it's never needed it, or never had a problem. Well guys, that's why it has problems now! Stuck valves, frozen pumps, etc. Hydraulic systems can be quite touchy, and some more than others. Sure, coils go bad, there's the occasional wiring issue, etc......but service is key.

Drain the fluid, flush the cyl's, clean the magnet if there is one, add one if there isn't, clean the fluid housing well with brake fluid. A simple, hour long process at the most, and it can very well prevent issues in the middle of a storm. Most of us know this, but many of us don't act on it.

Here is an example of one I worked on, and I see this all the time. I had this Jeep come to me as a side job for front springs. I loaded it up to deliver it on one of our first cold nights. The plow was acting funny....angling whenn it should have gone up, etc. It worked, but not 100% properly. I checked fluid to find this. I drained and refilled and it worked good as new. I'd have provided a proper service, but it wasn't here for that and they weren't paying for it. BUT clean fluid alone fixed the issue. Imagine what a proper service would have done. There's clearly more water than ATF. A Meyer shouldn't have ATF, let alone go unserviced so long that this much moisture could gather up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I add a couple ounces of Sea Foam trans tune when I change the fluid. Knock on wood, I have never had any moisture issues.

3. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Just serviced a meyers e57 for a customer the other day. Drained the fluid. Looked to be old Sam fluid contaminated with moisture. Flushed with red ATF 3 times and now it works like a
    charm.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That's the new Pepto Bismol hydraulic fluid:mechanic:

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol ohhhhh!!!!

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Obviously you don't keep up with all the latest and greatest products, he was probably running the NEW Kingsford engine oil too

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the EPA sees all that spilled contaminated fluid they will be all over you.

8. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Who said anything about spilled fluid? We in fact recycle all our fluid by using a waist oil burner in the shop.

9. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

I am fairly new to this (plowed once last year with my F250 and boss super duty) I just added a Meyer E47 7' for my jeep cherokee. How do you "flush" the fluid. I saw how to do the meyer arms, will I be able to do my boss the same way? Do I need to flush more than just the arms or drain and fill the resevior only after the arms?

Thanks for posting this I am gonna service both my new to me plows before the snow flys!

Z

10. Snow Commandor

from 07666

I change my fluid @ least once a year, no matter what. And guess what? I never have any fluid related problems.

11. Snow Commandor

from 07666

This year I'm planning on dropping the res. & changing the filter too. It will be my first time doing that to my Fisher.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's a good idea. I had a pickup screen clog on one of my Blizzards last season. Fluid change just didn't cut it.

13. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to talk about the 64 Chevelle instead of Hydraulic Fluid .... How is that car in snow and what are you going to hang on the front? And by the way, that is sweeeeeeeeeet !!!

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lmao!!! Thanks!

Big cube NA 434 small block. Runs 9.0s ;-)

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

first it looks like you are keeping with the pink theme for october cancer awareness month!...now do i get a gold star for dropping my pump off for a teardown, cleaning and new seals?

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Brake fluid, or brake cleaner?

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol cleaner. Thanks for catching that!

18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had an E-47 go 10 years with out a problem. The fluid got changed every year. Screens cleaned and blue fluid installed. If you have pits of defects in a ram surface. You will get water in the system. It get's damn cold and you will have a freeze up, no angle etc. Just let the drained fluid sit in the pan a while. You will soon see how much water is in it.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Brakeclean works OK but does leave a residue, try ether the cheapest you can buy. Cleans super, no residue and a nice buzz to go with it if you use it in an enclosed space.

Try Meyer Hydro-flush instead of ATF.

http://www.meyerproducts.com/Portals/0/meyer/pdfs/MiscLiterature/Hydra-FlushWebHi Res.pdf

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I've never encountered or heard of brake cleaner leaving a residue, and in fact I've heard specifically the opposite in comparison to carburetor cleaner (which apparently leaves a slight lubricating oil residue).

Do you mean straight ether, or the more common engine starting fluid you can buy these days which is a mixture of ether with other stuff?