1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service traction control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Feb 6, 2016.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I have a 2012 chevy while i was out plowing the message center dinged and it said service traction control it hasnt come on since does anyone know what that means ? i was just at the dealer

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I don't know what that means since I don't run GM's, but that's part of the power train, so it should be warrantied. Take it in and let them deal with it.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Same type of messsge popped up on my wife's 2013 Ford Taurus last year. Went away on its own after about a month and hasn't shiwn up since then. Car has been working fine. Probably just message overload.

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I would not be concerned unless it happened again.

5. hark

hark Junior Member

I have gotten this message from time to time on a couple of our GM trucks. It usually will go away on its own, and not come back for quite some time. I have had the message go away within minutes of getting it, and sometimes it can take a few days. I have never done anything with it though, and no problems with the truck regarding the traction control to my knowledge.

6. PLOWMAN45

ok maybe it was that wet snow i was pushing there is nothing on internet about it

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Whoever thought traction control made sense on a 4WD vehicle is a bigger idiot than obama.

8. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

X2....first loss of power in a storm and it reminds me to shut the thing off!

9. ratherbfishin

Oh ya...your being to kind to say idiot....waaaaay worse than a idiot!

10. PLOWMAN45

ok you turn your off im just making sure im understanding this right

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you turn off traction control while snow plowing. You will tear up your brakes if you don't.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't mind breaking.

13. PLOWMAN45

they should put that in the book

14. ratherbfishin

Yes...I have a switch to turn off/ over ride if you will, the traction control. The traction control on reduces power to the wheels to reduce tire spin. A real PIA when in 4 WD.
    The part about tearing up the brakes I don't understand or agree with!

15. PLOWMAN45

if i plow i will shut it off tom

16. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I got that on my 2011.
    Brought it in. They replaced the brae ight switch. Said that the switch controls more than just the brake lights. Have gotten the warning a few times since they "fixed" it. Need the truck to plow so she won't be going back in any time soon. Evidently, the system is a lot more complicated than a shadetree mech like me could figure out.
    I do like the idea of disabling it while plowing. It would often go off while stacking. The rear would just break loose while pushing, just enough to tell u that u were good. Turning it off would probably let me stack a bit more (more power) and save some wear on the system itself.

17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I wonder what you guys do sometimes to have so many issues with traction control. I spent a week in an 08 Chevy and it didn't come on once. Even the 3 times I was stuck. And yes it did have traction control.

Then again I use 4wd when it's slick and don't stack to the sky. That's what machines are for.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Back plow......

19. PLOWMAN45

you mean back blade or buy a back plow

20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's understandable. Always wonder how much you could pull before you loose traction. Do they have down pressure to the point where they can unload the suspension?