1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Records Indicate Hard Winter last year.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Oct 7, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Last week 4 of our Diamond Plows went through the shop, and each got 4 new springs. The trip springs had been adjusted as much as possible, last year. This year there was no adjustment left.

When you are putting new springs in a 97 Plow, you know ya had a hard winter, and the truck pushed some snow.

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Speaking of springs, how long would you recommend before changing trip springs on a moldboard trip blade? I bought a ten year old plow and wonder if it would not trip quite as easily if the springs were replaced?

I may have cost myself efficiency by using it with old springs since the moldboard can't push as much if the blade is unnecessarily in the trip position.
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Poly edge. Save your truck!

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Snojob, you change the trip springs when you can't adjust them anymore. At that time, the springs have been stretched to their maximum. They also usually trip easier, as you take up more adjustment on them. A spring that is almost maxed out on tension adjustment, should be replaced.
    How do you know when a (full trip) trip spring is adjusted properly? You tighten the adjuster until the coils of the spring are just starting to seperate from tension.
    It often easier to cut off an adjuster once it's maxed, because at that point the threads will be so rusted, it will just be easier to cut than get the nut off. The drawback here is that to put on a new spring, you have to back off the tension on the other springs!
    This is the main reason to try and keep the threads of the adjusters protected from rust. I use plastic caps on the ends of the adjusters, and clear silicone on the threads. It holds up well.
    It's also a good idea to have as many spare trip spring adjusters (eye bolts) as you have trip springs on your plow. Also, a spare trip spring (I carry 2 spares typically) just in case.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I noticed the same thing about last year. To top it off the winter killed the motor on my 92 F350 Gas Dump. I got rid of that truck as soon as winter was over.
    We are just about finished getting all trucks ready to plow. The Sanders will be munted this week temporarily so that we can check the wiring. Plows have come down been overhauled and are staged for mounting. Sand has been delivered. At Nov 1st one truck will have sander mounted and be ready to go. Looks like winter is close!:)
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

How much equipment do you actually have? Im still trying to figure out how you dont make any money plowing snow.. .:confused:
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Who said I don't make any money??? I just have said that I do not depend on snow actually falling.
    As for my equipment
    Ford F350 Rackbody 4x4 Fisher V Plow , Ice-o-Way Sander
    Ford F350 Pickup 4x4 Fisher Plow, Ice-o-Way Sander
    Toyota 4x4 Meyer Plow Soon to have Downeaster sander
    Personal Vehicle Toyota 4Runner Fisher Plow (used once in 6 years)
    Brother's Personal Vehicle Jeep CJ-7 Meyer 7 Foot (also spare truck)

We mainly run the three truck during a storm. Occassionally my brother will take his Jeep if we have another driver in. The 4Runner is only used as a last resort.
    I am happy with how I make out every winter. My statements in the past have only been that I do not expect to get rich from plowing. Only to keep money coming in year round and possibly make a little extra compared to my usual monthly average that allows me to buy some toys.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

"Who said I don't make any money"

You did.

"I feel that you have to be really big in this business before you can depend on it for food on your table. Even with the contracts I have that provide steady payments over the winter months I still depend on other jobs."

Im not meaning to pick on you personally, but would like to shed some light on why someone with such an extensive inventory of snow equipment feels they can't make a living with it...especially someone in a similar market as myself. (Im familiar with it).

You should not have to depend on other jobs during the winter esp here in So. New England. If a "one-truck wonder" such as my lazy-a$$ self can do it anyone can. If you are happy barely getting by why thats fine, but I feel its a waste for someone to expend so much energy and investment in equipment and be able to get better return on their investment from a mason jar...

Help is here if you want it, dont be afraid to ask.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a landscaping business which is not like most. I do cut lawns but only maybe two or three days a week. The rest of the time we spend doing large jobs usually associated with construction. These are drainage, gradings, new lawn and landscape installs, walkways, driveways, etc. Most of my business comes from builders in the area. I am constantly busy (even in the winter) and I am happy with this kind of work. This is the work that I depend on to make me money year round and it has. I do not turn down these jobs because it is winter and it may snow.
    Now seeing that I needed these trucks for my business years ago I decided to put plows on them and make some EXTRA!!! cash in the winter. This is what I have been saying all along for those who do not listen. I make money plowing. A good amount actually. But not enough to support me and my family year round nor do I try to. This is extra cash that may go back to my business or may be used for extras for us. While I am not going to shout out how much money I made I will say that I am comfortable. And that includes being able to pay for classes that both my wife and I take and the local college.
    Again I have winter contracts with all my commercial propeties. These bring in money. If you are offering help though explain to me how to get the 75 homes we plow to pay even when it does not snow. Forget about it!!!. This is what I meant by extra. Last year when it snowed a lot I made a lot more money. This is because I plowed all those driveways ten times more then I did the previous 3 years. (I keep accurate records) I also report every dime I make, EVEN SNOWPLOWING!
    I will say that I am not the least bit lazy. I work two jobs often and enjoy working. This is where I have gained much knowledge about snowplows and equipment. I have worked as a mechanic and installer of equipment before. I feel I have a good knowledge of the equipment. I also feel I have a good knowledge of the snow removal business and where I, THAT"S RIGHT ME, want to fit into it.
    Now excuse me for spewing off but I do not feel that every person hear needs to justify there existance. I have a retired neighbor who like to plow. It is a hobby for him. I don't get it either but when he works for me all he will take is me paying for his meal. People have different goals in life. Mine is not to be a huge snowplower so maybe that is why I have not taken big risks. I feel I am happy where I am and with the steady growth I make.