1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Magic Good Reviews?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PPP, Feb 22, 2012.

1. PPP

PPP Member

I've been Googling Service Magic and can't seem to find any Good reviews. Does anyone on this site have any Good Reviews. I've read enough bad ones. If it works for you how do you make it work for you? I'm looking at it. It appears as if you can micromanage your leads. Could be a good thing to wed out potential wasted ones. I'm looking to expand my business a little more. I just finished up a 3 year commercial contract and they are not renewing it with me. I do a fair amount of residential work. But with out this contract I need to be prepared. They asked me to resign the deal with a 60% cut in revenues!! yes a 60% cut... I couldn't even afford to do the contract for that. With the lean winter we are having I am already for-seeing people underbidding or just barely covering cost to get new work. I do run an add in the Newspaper in surrounding towns and belong to a number of local groups, Kiwanis, Lions, Chamber of Commerce Etc to name a few. They have all helped me build a business over the last 7 years (when I went out on my own and left a partnership). I'd like to limit the conversation to how to work Service Magic into ones favor if thats even possible.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Im in the minority with service magic..... It worked for me.... I was SO SPECIFIC on the leads I wanted it was crazy.... I got 3 leads in and landed one of them... was well worth it imo if your very specific with what you want

good luck!

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

All i have to say is if your not interested in service magic DO NOT add your name to the website to ask questions, They have been calling me for 4 years non stop bothering me to signup, And all i did was try and ask a few questions about the service. I have literally yelled and cursed at them to take me off the contact list but they refuse to do it. Some days i get 2-3 calls a day by the same person trying to get me to call him back.

4. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Gets pretty expensive...

5. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

It can be a great tool for you if you stay on top of the leads and don't get frustrated. By this I mean you will have a ton of junk leads no matter how service magic tries to spin it. But I have gotten several nice landscaping jobs from their leads. The snow removal leads are not worth it. Just small accounts trying to get the cheapest service possible. The same with lawn cutting.

6. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

M&D Lawn said it well.

Service Magic has been a great resource for new business starting off, or for someone trying to expand into a new area. Many of the leads are bogus or are other companies trying to get you to bid a job for them. If you stay on top of the leads service magic will credit your account for the bogus ones.

We have been using Service Magic on and off for the last 5 years. When you get busy you can put your account on hold or tighten down your service area. If you have any questions shoot us a PM

7. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Same boat here and is why I wont sign up, pisses me of. The amount of calls are rediculous, I also have gone off on them a few times. Best part is I have gotten several vms from them saying they will stop if I dont call back because it must not mean I am not interested, then they call again the next day, wtf

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yup i agree with the others. I dont think it is useful for mowing or plowing etc. And I used them for a few months and never got a lead for a commercial job, so I wouldnt even really waste time with that. You do get a few nice little landscape jobs or small cleanups. The problem I ran into was I would get the lead, follow up with an email, and a phone call or 2 and never hear back from these people. So I was wasting a lot of money. I wouldnt put everything you do in there but if you are selective enough and manage it well i think it can work good, you just need to monitor not let it get out of hand becasue let me tell you it can get out of hand really quick. I ran up like $1000 in one month of leads and only closed about $600 out of it. The leads would have got me about $3000 if I would have gotten everything but so many youn guns come in there to grow their business quick and they bid jobs at low prices.

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I used them a few years ago and I got a few good customers out of it but mostly bad ones and a lot of wasted ones that I still have to pay for. They still call me since I droped them and want me to sign back up but I told never to call me again. I advise you to not waste your time and money with Service Magic!!!!

10. PPP

PPP Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Kind of what I thought. Pdmissle I will be sending you a PM in the near future. I offer property management and maintenance. I would be using it for the maintenance side of things. Particularly Clean Ups and Commercial work. Residential mowing's/maintenance don't make much money for the reasons stated that everyone is doing it. I like the regular billing with commercial work and the fast money for clean ups.If I end up taking the plunge I'll post how it go's one way or the other.

11. TLP

TLP Junior Member

Just a heads up... look at their plan. They can't loose. I own a painting company and used them for one year, and got 2 jobs out of 65 referrals. You are one of 3-4 contractors bidding on the work, you WILL get low balled. You pay the fee per lead win or loose. You my get a couple dead leads reimbursed, but it will take alot of work on your part. In the long run the money, time and effort would have been better spent becoming more active in the community, and volunteering for local businesses or organizations. Get involved in your community, it will make you more visible, make you a better person, and you will make contacts with those who are there for the long haul. (That is my experience anyway)

JM2C

12. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Prepare to have leads miscategorized....such as mulch jobs sent in as grading/resloping, which is a lot more money. Ask for a replacement and have them deny it even though the customer clearly requests something different. Prepare to get a lot of tire kickers that want prices over the phone. Some good ones but all in all I think there are better ways to advertise.