1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service is based on a per call basis???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John143, Sep 27, 2012.

1. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Ok guys, I need some input as to why my email box is being flooded with "on-call" contract's ? I never seen this many people looking to only have services for snow removal started within 1 hour of calling for service.

Is this perhaps related to last years lack of snow? Or are subcontractors trying to make sure they have back-up if needed? :confused:
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Probably both, I haven't seen it but a few "nationals" bids have said "are you willing to be a backup", I checked no. If their going to try the cheap guy first, don't expect me to sit on equipment waiting till they fail. Hire a quality contractor to start with.
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

I would not do it....first this isn't a pizza shop you can't get it in 30 minutes or less. secondly by the time they call it is probally a disaster. unless you charge a premium and are sure you are going to be paid in a timely manner....... i would run away
  4. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Without saying any names. This is the "premium" prices the one (1) outfit is willing to pay.

Pickup Truck w/plow & spreader $59.50 per hour

Mason Dump w/plow & spreader $91.00 per hour

Backhoe without pusher $70.00 per hour

Manual Shoveling per hour $24.50 per hour

Skid Steer $59.50 per hour
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would stay away from all those type of customers.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you want the business, tell them that it's C.O.D. and payment in full is required before plowing starts. I bet they will leave you alone after that.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No matter what area you're in (well, except maybe Erie from what I've seen posted here) those prices are just idiotic and insulting.
  8. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Oh it gets better! I just called them to see if and why we needed spreaders on our trucks if they were supplying their own salt. They told me because the project site supply's the contractor with an endless supply of bulk salt throughout the winter season for the contractor to spread during snow fall events when they call for service.

So I said..... Let me get this right. You want me to send a truck to this location plow all day and load salt into our spreaders and salt all walks and the lot for $59.50 an hour? He said YES!! And keep in mind their is no cap on the hours your guys are on site for!! So I guess in his mind this was a good deal! :eek:

Any-case I told him I would not want to take such a good opportunity away from other contractors that may not have "as" much work lined up as "we" do this winter season and we would have to pass on his 3 year contract with the above prices. :salute:
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like subcontractor rates to me. (Not great ones) probably from a contractor that does some self perform....that's why they are saying on call....for when they are in a jam.