1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

service engine soon light came on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdchest, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

Yesterday when i got of the interstate going about 80 miles per hour i noticed that my service engine soon light came on , about a year ago it came on and i had to replace the catalic converter, I have read alot of different things about this and could someone tell me if they have had the same prob..should i go and buy gas treatment for it or could there be a serious problem with my 98 chevy silverado. I cannot feel anything different,,the truck idles fine,but i have noticed that my gas milage isnt the best, but hey its a 1/2 ton truck LOL. thank you for your replies i appreciate it.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Stop by the auto parts store and pick upj the Chiltons Reapir guide for your truck, it will tell you under the emissions section on how to check the computer for trouble codes.

Auto Zone will also check with a scanner for free.

3. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

i went to autozone and it got a code of po442 a small leak in the EECS. Does anybody know how i can find the leak. Thank you for all your help :)

4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

With later model GM's, if the gas cap isn't tight (clicks when tightened) the "Check Engine" light will come on.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, as I think most GM owners are aware of this.

If the gas cap is clicking when you install it and you still get the light/code, maybe the gas cap is not working as designed, such as maybe the seal (O-ring?) is old and leaky and needs replacement???

Just my 2¢.

5. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

O2 sensor(s) could be bad. When they begin to go, they set off the light above 45 or so. Thats how they were 10 years ago, I could be wrong.

Tony

6. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i sAID try the gas cap but somebody erased my reply