1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service engine light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dmk395, Sep 6, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 Junior Member

My service engine light pops on occasionally, as does my seatbelt light (while wearing the belt, or not, cannot differentiate). The mechanic said it was probalby nothing, just that its 12 years old.
    Any similar occurences with a 1989 ck2500 v-8 4x4

2. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I have a 90 k2500 and occasionaly the check engine light comes on, it doesn't stay on long. I don't get any trouble codes out of it. It took it to a mechanic and he got no trouble codes eithre, but said it could be a sensor getting ready to blow. Also he said in the mean time just think of it as Christmas, a blinking light on the tree. It runs great so I just ignore it, it doen't happen that often. It seems to happen when there is a drastic change in the weather from warm and dry to cold and wet, but it's not the only time it has happened
    Casey

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a 98 venture that does the same two things.
    Must be a bowtie thang.
    Dino

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm getting a similar thing and found this on a search. Mine is a '96 Chevy 3500 with 6.5TD. The "check engine soon light" comes on when I start it and stays on steady. I've checked the fluid levels and it seems so to run ok. Can anybody tell me what else is hooked to this light I could check?

It's too early/late for Christmas and I don't like surprises :mad: . I'd like to keep control of "gifts" to the mechanic.

5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,
    My Pontiac Grand Am has a check engine light. The code is if it is on steady then there is a problem with the emissions gear, if it is flashing then it is a problem with the fuel / ignition.

I know it is not a truck but it is a GM product, so maybe some similarity in the light usage.

Someone else can probably steer you better, but I thought I'd throw out the 2¢ I know !!

Good Luck !

6. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Rob. Sounds reasonable that it would be similar problems. At least it doesn't sound like anything that's going to kill the truck before I can get it into the shop next week.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Check engine or Service Engine Soon light will come on to indicate a problem with the emission\fuel\ignition control system.

If the light comes on,it should set a code which can be pulled with a proper code scanner or computer.

If the light goes back out,then it means the computer has adapted,or compensated for the fault,or it is intermittant.

If the light is on all the time,you have a hard fault,and the problem is there all the time.

Fluid levels,oil pressure,eng temp do not affect the orange Check engine light.They will turn on the red engine light instead.

Have the codes pulled out of it,or pull them yourself by jumpering the two terminals in the ALDL connector under the dash.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mick - your 6.5 TD still has an onboard computer,so if the light is on,there is a problem.You may,or may not notice it in the way it drives.You will need to pull the codes out of it to find out the root cause.

9. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Chris. It did exactly like you said - it was staying on all the time. I went out and drove it again this evening - the light went off when it started just like it was supposed to. So I guess the computer adapted.:nod:

:drinkup:

10. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

If you have a 95' or earlier, your truck is OBD and you don't need a scanner to pull codes.
    I have a 94' and under my steering column there is an adapter that looks like this...

[​IMG]

I used a paper clip to short A and B and the turn the ignition to the on position (just short of starting). Not sure if I remember this correctly, but the SES light will blink the 12 code twice (one slow, then two fast) then it will blink the code of the indicated trouble..

So if you have a code 15, you should see the SES blink one slow, two fast, pause, the same code again (two code 12s), then one slow and five fast for the 15.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong.....

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

That will work for pulling codes on ODB1 equipped GM trucks and cars.It will not work for OBDII vehicles.

If anyone tries this and needs a code looked up,just let me know.