1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Engine Light Popped On

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Jan 15, 2004.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Plowing today in the extreme cold saw the service engine soon light came on and stayed on trough out my plowing. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 96 tahoe. Everything is running normal as ever. Could it be the cold tripped some wire or something like that. Want to avoid going to the dealer to have them put one of those whats wrong with it gizmo's, you guys always have the answers to my simple questions thanks

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

100 plus things could turn on the check engine lite. You need to at least know the trouble code to get any direction for the cause of the lite. After you know the code you can narrow down the cause. Remember the code will be the RESULT of the problem & NOT necessarily the CAUSE of the problem.

3. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

If you have an Autozone in your area, they will check the code for free. Call first, I've heard that they have tried to charge some people.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Has the O-2 sensor ever been replaced? Definetly need to put a scanner on that. It will save alot of time and money.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

9 times out of 10 it's some type of sensor that causes the light to come on. Better get it checked though, just to be safe.:nod:

6. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Another simple solution maybe, If you put gas in while the motor is running sometimes that will kick the dreaded "service engine soon" light on. Also make sure the gas cap is on tight. good luck!

7. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Light went off 2 days ago. I think it was the cold since everything was in running order. Will watch it but mechanic friend of mine said most likely the cold weather. Thanks

8. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

SES light

My SES light came on over the summer. My '97 Checy z71 was running fine and the light stayed on for a few weeks, went off for a week and came back on. Went to the gas station just to get a newspaper and it didn't want to start up. Next day my fuel pump went out on me. Replaced it and light has never came back on.

Something to think about. I never have paid attention to those SES lights....i will now. Beats getting stranded in a bad part of town when the fuel pump goes out!!

Hope all turns out well.

INDY

www.indysnowplowers.com