1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

service Engine Light On Again

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Jan 30, 2004.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

It's me and I'm back with some more questions in regards to the service light com ming on in my 96 tahoe. Brought it to dealer and they told me 2 of the eight fuel injectors were leaking. I said I don't see anything on the ground but that is what they told me. Then he said 550. to fix the 2 but we recommend doing all eight at one time for 1200. Had the wife pull it out from garage so I could consult a friend who is chevy knowledgeable. I told him what they said and he brought over one of those electric gizmo's you plug into the trucks computer and it registered no problems. The dealer had reset the service light so it was no longer on. About 4 hours into plowing Tuesdays storm on it pops again. I can not notice anything wrong performance wise with the truck all seems to be running well, but I like to take care of problems the minute they happen. Question is if the injectors are shot am I killing the truck. What is the worst that can happen before I put it in the shop late next week, or I should say a different dealer to get a second opinion. Any help would be very comforting. Thanks

2. RPMAK

RPMAK Member

Have your friend hook up the computer again or if you have an autozone near you they will pull the codes out for free and tell you what the promblem is. Good Luck

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Don't YA just love those dealers. If I had a nickel for every time the check engine light came on I would have enough to go to a dealer.
    I had a suburban once and it always came on going up a steep hill. At first I would pull over and shut her down and check. Nothing. Start again and proceed until next hill, same thing. After awhile I just ignored it. Truck ran perfect for years. Most times this happens it's the oxygen sensor and not because it's bad but because it got a shot of bad mixed exhaust. Injectors very seldom go bad.
    Put some cleaner through it and stay away from those take all your money factory dealers. Definately get a second opinion for that money. I'm betting the next guy says something different. If you had two bad injectors you would know as soon as you worked the truck a bit. If it is running smooth then question them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

worse that could happen if an injector dies? I suppose it could stick open and fill your crankcase full of fuel and you could hydrolock your motor. Bent rods, windowed block, taco a piston or 2, really cool and groovy stuff to look at when its not yours :jester:

Ok....now that I scared the bejesus outa ya, that probably aint going to happen, but that would probably be the worse.

If the dealer said injector I would assume they aint lying to ya but scanning the thing since it threw the code would be a good idea IMO. Autozone should be able to do it or your bud with the little electrical gizmo.

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you have 2 bad injectors, it would be putt putt putting and sound like you had burnt valves.

6. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I agree with gt_racer50. If you had two injectors failing it would be sort of like two filed spark plugs. You would surely notice when two go out on you. I deffinatly would notice if one plug died so if you had two injectors bad you should see a big power loss when the light comes on.
    Nacho

7. DannyB

DannyB Junior Member

I have a 98 K 2500 and the Service Engine Soon light kept coming on and the DBR II said Lean Bank, both sides. I checked a couple of things and the "dealer" told me the fuel injector story as well. It got real cold here last weak and the truck would not take any gas above 1/4. I pulled the fuel filter and it was like tar in there. Got a new AC Delco unit and I could not believe, the truck ran better than it has in a long time. I would have never thought a fule filter could have gotten that dirty.

8. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Thanks guys for all of the input. Ran truck to local dump on saturday can't see anything wrong with it. Tough week to put it in the shop due to forcast but I will soon. I hope it it holds out okay will take it slow and easy, and check fluid levels often. Did notice starting the other morning anti freeze leaking as she wqas warminh uo but it stopped once engine was hot, who the hell knows its a beast but has age.

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to check pressure on radiator cap and if it is turned on all the way, and thermostat.

10. 68bullit

68bullit Member

am i missing something here or what.you said the injectors are leaking not failing.pull them out and replace the o rings and stick them back in.

yes it will shake and shudder if the injectors are leaking
    yes you will notice power loss
    yes you can cause a fire

the orings are like a buck apiece and be sure you get the proper green colored ones (neoprene or whatever)fron the dealer as ive had problems with aftermarket ones tearing when reinstalling them.

also make sure whoever does the job they lube the o rings with petroleum jelly and not oil or tranny fluid as they will cause the o rings to swell up and eventually will cause them to deteriorate with age

11. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

My parents have a 96 Tahoe and the check engine light comes and goes intermittantly. Never had any performance issues b/c of it. Autozone said it's an o2 sensor. Think they've got a few on that truck. We just run it like that. Also signs of a bad fuel filter are feels like the tranny is going out. Called the best tranny guy in town, he said he could "sell" 5 tranny jobs a week b/c of that!! Told me to change filter. Lo and behold that little magic worked. Tranny is still goin strong years later.