1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Service Brake system?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Jan 22, 2013.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Just had this pop up on the dash and it dose it every time i start the truck, 2005 1500, what could it be? i was wondering what was next fixed service 4wd , and airbag on it.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start by checking break fluid level.

3. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

When I needed front brake pads the brake peddle would go to low toward the floor & trigger it, sometimes just adding brake fluid to the reservoir can temporarily fix it

many other things can do it also ....

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I had an '03 2500hd that did that occasionally. But mine would go away by turning off ignition & restarting. It was quirky.

5. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Sometimes it can apply to the trailer braking system. If it has one built in. My 07 NBS had a light,it was something to do with trailer system. My light went out so I didn't take it back to dealer.

6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

also during very COLD temps mine would show once & a while - then be OK later

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually a problem with the ebcm. Not hard to figure out once you ck the codes.

8. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

x2 brake fluid

you don't have the little black vac pump on the side of booster do u?

some 03-04 had them that would come on at low vac conditions

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. 99LsSilverado

99LsSilverado Junior Member

After searching I found that the ground under the drivers door should be cleaned and install a new bolt to get a better frame ground to the ecbm

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive tried that a 100 its never fixed anything for me. And the fluid will only put on the red brake light not the service brake message!. Ck the codes and be done with it. Most common is co 265.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Anyone have the transmission act up at the same time the service brake system message comes on. My 04 2500 started today while doing salt. The trans is slipping and I not sure it is coming out of second gear. Once the message and lights go out, trans works fine. All the post I have read regarding this problem, nothing mentions transmission. Help please, more snow coming this week.

12. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

An update. About 40 mph the speedometer bounces which cause the trans to constantly shift to maintain speed. The more load on the truck the more it shifts, sometimes acting like it is not going into gear and slipping. In town don't really notice a problem due to slower speeds.

13. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

you may want to check your codes. It could be a number of things causing your brake light and trans issue such as rear wheel speed sensor, trans speed sensor,:mechanic:

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a corroded air bag sensor module (under the drivers seat) that did crazy wonderful things electrically to my 07 3500.
    Took me a month to track cause no 2 days were the same...
    Service 4wd,service brake,starting issues,pwr door lock issues etc. It's funny how a little short can play with so many systems. Ok... it wasn't a small short but plug and play new module and the truck was 100%.

[​IMG]

15. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Thanks, code reader showed rear wheel speed sensor. Driving the truck was going about 30 but sensor was spiking to 80 on the reader. Going to try that and I will respond with results.

16. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Replaced sensor. So far no problems. Very easy repair.